The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 63

User Info Menu

Hi everyone
    I've listened to many "blue Bossa " versions on jazz guitar. Pat Martino's version apart I find them boring . Exercise licks but the music ? Joe henderson lesson 's was completely lost on the guitar version . Will you have a few unschool versions to sugeest I listen to ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Try this:

User Info Menu

No guitar but don't overlook the original:

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Try this:
    Nothing to say It is a nice version . But to me it is not a jazz version of Blue Bossa . Too much spanich and Django style . I'm looking for a jazz guitar version anf the concept should be close to the Joe Hendersom version.

User Info Menu

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘unschool’, but I’m a fairly un-schooled sort of guy (in terms of how I play!) and I had a go at it once. No idea if this will help, but here it is anyway:

You kmow what I mean . Congratulations on your playing . A nice and flowing version . Not too much a school version as I like

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by belfagor
    Nothing to say It is a nice version . But to me it is not a jazz version of Blue Bossa . Too much spanich and Django style . I'm looking for a jazz guitar version anf the concept should be close to the Joe Hendersom version.
    OK, that's fine. If you look for the ultimate jazz version of this song, search for Chick Corea and Bobby McFerrin.. there are a couple of live versions on the Tube...

It doesn't get better than this. Search's on you ....

User Info Menu

I love this one:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    Try this:
    Thanks for posting this!

I think it's a terrific version by great players and it is, IMO, most certainly jazz.

User Info Menu

Define 'nice'.

User Info Menu

George Benson (solo starts at 4 minutes):

User Info Menu

A song ruined for me by Gary Moore's awful pastiche, Parisienne Walkways.

User Info Menu

"Moon & Sand" is one of my Favorite KB recordings.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Who's on this?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by belfagor
    Hi everyone
    I've listened to many "blue Bossa " versions on jazz guitar. Pat Martino's version apart I find them boring . Exercise licks but the music ? Joe henderson lesson 's was completely lost on the guitar version . Will you have a few unschool versions to sugeest I listen to ?
    Pat Marino's version is not boring as you understand his language of musical expression.
    I spent a few years listening to and transcribing his solos. I recommend it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Who's on this?
    It’s in the comments:

I'm looking for a nice Blue Bossa version-2544115b-b909-49da-965f-01ecb887bf7c-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Funny to read that, I always thought "Parisienne Walkways" to be an "Autumn Leaves" contrafact. (*)

But I see, the first four bars have some resemblance with the "Blue Bossa" melody....

(*) Or "Europe" Santana, or "Still Got The Blues" by himself... this running the "Circle Of Fifth" counterclockwise is ubiquitous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

mouahahahaahahah !

I'm looking for a version that connects to the tradition of the jazz guitar school . A version that takes into account the lesson of Raney , Hall, Martino , Benson ( just to name a few ) . I can't think in recent years no one has managed to propose on record his original version of blue bossa . It this happened , that mean that jazz bass has evolved but jazz guitar has not . To me the jazz guitar today should absorb the lesson of modern piano and reeds players ( Corea, Tyner and joe Henderson to name a few ) and at the same time he shouldn't forget the greats of the past .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It’s in the comments
    My fault, I didn't check the comments on that one. Thanks.

Tootie's a good name... for a drummer :-)

The Pat Martino version is a landmark. I mean that apart the Martino version I've found boring the other versions I listen to.

User Info Menu

I really like Ron's chordal work on this version

User Info Menu

Hi!
    In the next week I will do a video recording of a melodic etude on Blue Bossa.
    After a (pretty boring explanation…) on how to play over chords’ extensions I will play four choruses of Blue Bossa in different fretboard positions.
    Yes, I’m a “position player”…..because I like to find different arpeggios and intervals trying to stay in the same fretboard position.
    My Etude is NOT a real improvisation but if you like it you can use every phrase (or a full chorus) in your improvisation.
    No melodic minor/superlocrian/harmonic/altered/bebop scales here…..only arpeggios from natural minor and major scale.
    On the technical side the etude is pretty easy since I have very small hands and if I can play it……everybody can play it.
    Of course I will publish the full transcription with standard notation and TAB in a free PDF file.
    I hope to publish the video on my YouTube channel and my personal website at the end of September.
    Bye!

ettore

You're welcome Ettore