The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 63

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by belfagor
    I'm looking for a version that connects to the tradition of the jazz guitar school . A version that takes into account the lesson of Raney , Hall, Martino , Benson ( just to name a few ) . I can't think in recent years no one has managed to propose on record his original version of blue bossa . It this happened , that mean that jazz bass has evolved but jazz guitar has not . To me the jazz guitar today should absorb the lesson of modern piano and reeds players ( Corea, Tyner and joe Henderson to name a few ) and at the same time he shouldn't forget the greats of the past .
    I do not think there are all versions of Blue Bossa on youtube.
    But there is quite a lot of it anyway.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Pat Martno version is a landmark. I mean that apart the Martino version I 've found boring the other versions I listen to .
    You may get bored with the song itself, which is played on almost every jam.

Ron Eschete is one of my favourite jazz guitar ever . Jeff Berlin 's playing shows as I assumed that the bass has evolved much more than the jazz guitar , That is to me a really nice version of blue Bossa

I wouldn't blame the song . I get bored when I can't find any idea and someone wants to demonstrate things that can't do . Or even worse if one were play as if He were waiting the end of the working day .

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    You may get bored with the song itself, which is played on almost every jam.
    In the last 20 years I have not followed too much the evolution of the jazz guitar.If you have some interesting version and young player to point out to me other than YOU TUBE ....

User Info Menu

I have old book written by Joe Diorio.
    very interesting ideas....not young player.

User Info Menu

belfagor -

Let's be honest, I'm walking in where angels fear to tread... but here's a thing.

You've asked for a 'nice BB version'. I don't know what nice means. As far as I can see it would be entirely relative and subjective. What you call nice someone else may not.

But everyone's posted a lot of versions and you've rejected them. Apart from the Martino, that is, which you say doesn't bore you. Personally, I don't care for it much. It's too fast and, apart from various syncopations and polyrhythmic effects, is mostly a perpetual motion of eighths which can grate after a while. Not that I don't like Martino, don't misunderstand me.

But really we don't know what you like, do we? And apparently now we're not supposed to post any YOU TUBE stuff either! I'm surprised anyone's still here...

Personally, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. You say you want to hear a young player but talk about 'the traditional jazz guitar school'. That's probably a contradiction unless this young player is rather old fashioned! I don't know what you mean by traditional jazz guitar school anyway since the music is continually evolving.

I suppose what you could do is post a video or soundclip of a tune that is played in exactly the sort of style you want to hear. You must have at least one - bearing in mind that Blue Bossa is in latin rhythm, not swing. That changes it.

So I don't know what you want and I doubt anyone here does either, however much they want to be helpful. I also doubt if you yourself really know, which makes the whole thing rather pointless.

So what do we do? I see grahambop posted his very impressive version of Blue Bossa but that hasn't done the trick. I've just done one myself so you can have that. I like the tune, I don't get bored with it. But I don't expect you to like it!

So what do we do? Will you give up or carry on searching for your ideal version? There aren't many young people on this forum in any case, not who can play extremely well for their age anyhow.

I think you might try to be more specific if you still want to be helped. It's all a bit confusing at the moment. Would that be all right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    belfagor -

Let's be honest, I'm walking in where angels fear to tread... but here's a thing.

You've asked for a 'nice BB version'. I don't know what nice means. As far as I can see it would be entirely relative and subjective. What you call nice someone else may not.

But everyone's posted a lot of versions and you've rejected them. Apart from the Martino, that is, which you say doesn't bore you. Personally, I don't care for it much. It's too fast and, apart from various syncopations and polyrhythmic effects, is mostly a perpetual motion of eighths which can grate after a while. Not that I don't like Martino, don't misunderstand me.

But really we don't know what you like, do we? And apparently now we're not supposed to post any YOU TUBE stuff either! I'm surprised anyone's still here...

Personally, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. You say you want to hear a young player but talk about 'the traditional jazz guitar school'. That's probably a contradiction unless this young player is rather old fashioned! I don't know what you mean by traditional jazz guitar school anyway since the music is continually evolving.

I suppose what you could do is post a video or soundclip of a tune that is played in exactly the sort of style you want to hear. You must have at least one - bearing in mind that Blue Bossa is in latin rhythm, not swing. That changes it.

So I don't know what you want and I doubt anyone here does either, however much they want to be helpful. I also doubt if you yourself really know, which makes the whole thing rather pointless.

So what do we do? I see grahambop posted his very impressive version of Blue Bossa but that hasn't done the trick. I've just done one myself so you can have that. I like the tune, I don't get bored with it. But I don't expect you to like it!

So what do we do? Will you give up or carry on searching for your ideal version? There aren't many young people on this forum in any case, not who can play extremely well for their age anyhow.

I think you might try to be more specific if you still want to be helped. It's all a bit confusing at the moment. Would that be all right?
    Well said indeed.

User Info Menu

So strange to create an account a decade ago. Never comment or participate in the forum and start with this thread.

Dave Cliff , Philipe Catherine , Doug Raney , Peter bernstein Ron Eschete . They were connected to the tradition , They also play modern jazz they know hoew to tackle a new or modern standard from new or old repertoire , playing with original ideas .

User Info Menu

What tradition? Most jazz in the 40's and after is rooted in bebop but I wouldn't call that a tradition.

So what is tradition to you ?... CHRISTIAN , DJANGO , KESSEL, Pass are they root into tradion or not ?

User Info Menu

Folk music is generally traditional. Spanish flamenco is a traditional art. Same with many cultures around the world, like Indian sitar music or traditional Russian music.

I'd say jazz wasn't old enough to have become traditional. Perish the thought!

Many don't understand what I mean . As far my opinion worth I find the Graham Bop version of blue bossa aware and interesting and rooted in the tradition of jazz guitar school . I really like that version

User Info Menu

At last, that was the point. You really mean bebop, don't you? And bebop itself came out of swing. You know, bebop per se really only lasted about 10 years. What came after that were modifications of bebop.

User Info Menu

His playback is cheesy general midi stuff, but it is interesting how a Brazilian phrases over a bossa tune when improvising

User Info Menu

Another version from Brazil

User Info Menu

More Nelson Faria

User Info Menu

Nelson Faria again, this time with a swing version

User Info Menu

Some general advice for comping bossa nova, there are real English subtitles for this one

This is a bass video showing the difference between US-American and Brazilian feel, might be relevant as bossa patterns on guitar include a bassline as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    His playback is cheesy general midi stuff, but it is interesting how a Brazilian phrases over a bossa tune when improvising

In my opinion that is a really interesting lesson

User Info Menu

Many don't understand what I mean . As far my opinion worth I find the Graham Bop version of blue bossa aware and interesting and rooted in the tradition of jazz guitar school . I really like that version
    Thanks! I’ve just remembered another guitar version, by Louis Stewart:

User Info Menu

God, no wonder they die young :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Some general advice for comping bossa nova, there are real English subtitles for this one

This is a bass video showing the difference between US-American and Brazilian feel, might be relevant as bossa patterns on guitar include a bassline as well

For a tune like this I kind of think it’s incorrect to play it with an authentic Bossa feel

User Info Menu