The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

I like to listen to Giant Steps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The key to playing Giant Steps is to simplify the changes.

User Info Menu

hehe... please everyone, listen through to the end. Genius.

User Info Menu

Even like that it's hip!

User Info Menu

Bob Brookmeyer called Trane's Giant Steps the most unmusical thing he ever heard, and refused to play it.
    Trane NEVER played it on a gig. He said it was just a study that you could maybe use to make turnarounds more interesting, but NEVER meant to be played as a tune.
    Getting Giant Steps down at 160 was the most detrimental thing I've ever done to my jazz playing.

Other than all that, it's perfectly fine....

User Info Menu

If Giant Steps were easy to play, nobody would try to play it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    .... Getting Giant Steps down at 160 was the most detrimental thing I've ever done to my jazz playing.....
    I thought you were about to say "useless", but I'm interested to know why "detrimental"? Surely some good must have come from all that shedding? Not even just a little?

User Info Menu

I won't go quite as far as Princeplanet's remarks, however, a question needs to be considered: why do we choose the songs we do: for enjoyment, practice, ego? As a saxer, in the past, I was heavily into Coltrane for a couple of years, and, looking back today, it was not Giant Steps or tunes in a similar vein that had a lasting effect for me-- but the ballads. So, we spend untold hours mastering a tune with the idea it is a mountain to conquer or that it will improve our musicianship but if it's not your favorite soup . . .what's the point? And, for those of you who play CG, there's a similar tune: Tarrega's famous "Recuerdos de la Alhambra"--which although beautiful, albeit, and a bit too sentimental, is essentially a difficult study in tremolo technique. As a first-year CG student in the Mesozoic, my teacher thought I should play it and it was clearly beyond my ability at the time. I struggled through months of practice until I finally told him the piece was beyond my level of playing and I now detest the piece. So, what's the point? Music, for many, is akin to an athletic contest where you have to hit the longest home run, throw the fastest pitch, round the bases in the quickest time while losing sight of why we play . . . to speak through music as a way to communicate our view of the world to those who will listen. Giant Steps? Only if its your soup du jour.
    Marinero