The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oooh yeah! That’s been one of my favorite tunes since I discovered it in the early ‘60s. Nice, nice, nice!

User Info Menu

[Can anyone share a good lead sheet version of this, please? All I've found are "$$" versions, etc. Thx!]

@jazzpadd -- real nice stuff!!

[Edit: Someone sent one -- thanks!!]
    Last edited by marcwhy; 07-06-2022 at 10:55 PM. Reason: update

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    [Can anyone share a good lead sheet version of this, please? All I've found are "$$" versions, etc. Thx!]

[Edit: Someone sent one -- thanks!!]
    Beat me to it! Here's a jpeg for everyone else. I don't see a way to post pdfs:

Spring can really hang you up the most-springcanreallyhangyouupthemost-jpg

User Info Menu

I enjoyed this rendition quite a bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Oooh yeah! That’s been one of my favorite tunes since I discovered it in the early ‘60s. Nice, nice, nice!
    Thank you! It’s been one of my fave tunes, too! But I only discovered it several years ago. After a NGD brought a Kalamazoo Johnny Smith into the fold, I started listening to his albums. When Spring… came on I was immediately enchanted by it, and ever since.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Thank you, I appreciate it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I enjoyed this rendition quite a bit.
    Thank you very much, I’ve been enjoying your playing, too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Beat me to it! Here's a jpeg for everyone else. I don't see a way to post pdfs:
    Thanks for this lead sheet! I never saw that one with the lyrics before; Betty Carter’s vocal rendition is achingly beautiful.

The chart I used was in one of the old Real Books, which omits the intro. In Japan, the Jazz Standard Bible has a chart similar to the RB, but which includes the intro. After playing through these charts and listening to several versions, and after initially using the original intro, I decided to omit it and developed my own.

Joe Diorio retains the original intro. Johnny Smith uses his own, in which he plays off the #11 of both the CM7 and the BbM7. Very nice, though his use of a drop D made the voicings difficult for me.

However, the real ear opener was Kenny Burrell. Besides omitting the intro and adding his own, he alters the original BbM7 to a Bb13. It really opened up the tune for me, and I’ve played it that way ever since.

Thanks again for listening!

BTW, someone recently posted a transcript of Burrell’s version on YouTube, though I haven’t played through it yet.