The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, M,
    That was one of your finest pieces for me. You have a personal harmonic sensibility that gives great character and depth to the melodies. These can only be heard in your head . . . not copied from a cheat sheet. Five stars.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    That was one of your finest pieces for me. You have a personal harmonic sensibility that gives great character and depth to the melodies. These can only be heard in your head . . . not copied from a cheat sheet. Five stars.
    Marinero
    . Thanks man! If I might ask for your candid opinion on the video production work? Does it add, take away or neutral to your enjoyment overall of the video? I’m seeking ways to up my game to make these more interesting or compelling for folks to watch. Hard core “listeners” may not care (close their eyes anyway) but maybe these technologies can help widen the audience.

User Info Menu

Hi Mark. I always enjoy your posts, and truly appreciate you putting them up. I'm not very good with words to describe sound and music though, so I never have much more to say about your playing past how much I like and admire it.

I think the video side is just about as good as you can do with a single camera on a tripod. You, the guitar, beautiful lighting and no distraction is all that's really needed. The slow zoom and dissolve is a nice touch, and it's good you didn't go overboard with that kind of thing.

Might be the only place you can go from here is more cameras giving different POV's, or a camera person. It would be nice to see a few cuts to different angles, or in a perfect scenario one or 2 slow camera glides.

More $$ or another body in the room, but that might upset the whole vibe. I think you're doing great with the video. I definitely see a nice evolution from the earlier ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Hi Mark. I always enjoy your posts, and truly appreciate you putting them up. I'm not very good with words to describe sound and music though, so I never have much more to say about your playing past how much I like and admire it.

I think the video side is just about as good as you can do with a single camera on a tripod. You, the guitar, beautiful lighting and no distraction is all that's really needed. The slow zoom and dissolve is a nice touch, and it's good you didn't go overboard with that kind of thing.

Might be the only place you can go from here is more cameras giving different POV's, or a camera person. It would be nice to see a few cuts to different angles, or in a perfect scenario one or 2 slow camera glides.

More $$ or another body in the room, but that might upset the whole vibe. I think you're doing great with the video. I definitely see a nice evolution from the earlier ones.
    Thanks so much. Ya know, few words are way better than no words! I really appreciate knowing that anyones listening. Video posting can be like singing into a void- so really, thanks!

i do have a couple of additional cameras but they’re lower quality and I’ve tried to use the alternative angle thing. I do think more of that’s in order. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

beautiful Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    beautiful Mark
    thank you very kindly!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    . Thanks man! If I might ask for your candid opinion on the video production work? Does it add, take away or neutral to your enjoyment overall of the video? I’m seeking ways to up my game to make these more interesting or compelling for folks to watch. Hard core “listeners” may not care (close their eyes anyway) but maybe these technologies can help widen the audience.
    Hi, M,
    You've asked the million-dollar question! So, here's my take: the short answer is "what more could you do?" Answer: nothing. But, once we peel the orange, something different emerges. Your video production work is very well done and creative. However, to judge my tastes by those of the general public may not get the answer you are seeking. For me, I find anything other than a neutral background unnecessary to listen to a music video since, for me, the music is the raison d'etre. However, the mainstream viewer, especially today, is looking for a different experience and to find out what they want may be very elusive, in the least case scenario, and impossible in reality. A person that is drawn to one of your music videos and watches the entire video has been drawn to your music . . . not the video. And, probably, is a musician or an aesthete. You don't jump up and down, wear garish clothing, stick your tongue out at the viewer or bang your guitar with the force of a jackhammer playing formulaic "licks" straight from a "How To" manual/video. So, to try to invite these people(or even those who claim to love Jazz) to your work might be an exercise in futility for the most part because the 1.5% of Jazz listeners today is, indeed, a very small audience from which to draw and when you subtract those who watch the typical Y2K junk jazz from your prospective audience, you're not left with many viewers . . . and that is the problem, not your videos. The demand element of economics is very limited, at best, and the supply side is inexhaustible.
    Finally, there is an element of luck in life that touches some and avoids others despite talent. One of my early teachers for CG was a certified artist and had some success performing around the world in his early twenties. However, he was a loner and did not belong to the clique of performers in his generation who, although less talented, were making connections and knocking on doors. And, although he continued his concertizIng into his early 40's, he dropped out and started a successful music academy which he still owns today. What could he have done to promote his career? Perhaps, following the path of his contemporaries but why wasn't he noticed? It wasn't about him . . . it was about them and that's my answer to you.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, M,
    You've asked the million-dollar question! So, here's my take: the short answer is "what more could you do?" Answer: nothing. But, once we peel the orange, something different emerges. Your video production work is very well done and creative. However, to judge my tastes by those of the general public may not get the answer you are seeking. For me, I find anything other than a neutral background unnecessary to listen to a music video since, for me, the music is the raison d'etre. However, the mainstream viewer, especially today, is looking for a different experience and to find out what they want may be very elusive, in the least case scenario, and impossible in reality. A person that is drawn to one of your music videos and watches the entire video has been drawn to your music . . . not the video. And, probably, is a musician or an aesthete. You don't jump up and down, wear garish clothing, stick your tongue out at the viewer or bang your guitar with the force of a jackhammer playing formulaic "licks" straight from a "How To" manual/video. So, to try to invite these people(or even those who claim to love Jazz) to your work might be an exercise in futility for the most part because the 1.5% of Jazz listeners today is, indeed, a very small audience from which to draw and when you subtract those who watch the typical Y2K junk jazz from your prospective audience, you're not left with many viewers . . . and that is the problem, not your videos. The demand element of economics is very limited, at best, and the supply side is inexhaustible.
    Finally, there is an element of luck in life that touches some and avoids others despite talent. One of my early teachers for CG was a certified artist and had some success performing around the world in his early twenties. However, he was a loner and did not belong to the clique of performers in his generation who, although less talented, were making connections and knocking on doors. And, although he continued his concertizIng into his early 40's, he dropped out and started a successful music academy which he still owns today. What could he have done to promote his career? Perhaps, following the path of his contemporaries but why wasn't he noticed? It wasn't about him . . . it was about them and that's my answer to you.
    Marinero

Good response and pretty much what I’ve been already thinking. I just don’t want to lose the 3 or 4 fans I might already have

User Info Menu

Beautifully played Mark, very enjoyable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by radioarc
    Beautifully played Mark, very enjoyable.
    . Thanks very much!