The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What a classic, one of my favorites.

User Info Menu

InTENSE! Gorgeous performance all around. Ensemble magic!

User Info Menu

This is one of the songs that got me interested in the guitar. It still gives me chills to hear it.

User Info Menu

Sadly, there was no credit to the original composer of the tune when this version was released. Fenton Robinson's first recording appeared as a 1967 single. He rerecorded the track in 1974 on an Alligator album by the same name and it's a real fave of mine:

Last edited by PMB; 06-15-2022 at 04:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I thought at 12:14, the track would get boring, but I wanted to hear more when the fade-out came.
    Great example of changing tempos and grooves and switching from horns to piano fills to guitar solos to keep the tune more interesting than a typical minor blues.
    Tracy Nelson was on backup vocals, a seriously under-rated rock/blues singer. She
    sang some tunes with Mother Earth by Boz and other writers, and would use hip arr. just like this one.
    Boz always uses great funk/jazz players in his bands.

User Info Menu

One thing I had not known was that Boz had been Steve Miller's rhythm guitarist. It's a small world after all.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the article ! One of my all time favorites !
    I hear a lot of energy on this recording ( Boz ) . It sounds live, every bit of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    One thing I had not known was that Boz had been Steve Miller's rhythm guitarist. It's a small world after all.
    Both Steve Miller and Boz made albums where they sang standards. Steve Miller's album "Born 2 B Blue" had Phil Woods and Ben Sidran on it, and he sang tunes like When Sunny Gets Blue, and the title song very in a convincing jazz/blues style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Both Steve Miller and Boz made albums where they sang standards. Steve Miller's album "Born 2 B Blue" had Phil Woods and Ben Sidran on it, and he sang tunes like When Sunny Gets Blue, and the title song very in a convincing jazz/blues style.
    Had not known that. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Had not known that. Thanks.
    Yeah, no one seems to know about that album. I mentioned it on a forum where they were mentioning their fave SM albums, and no one had even heard of that album. SM doesn't really play jazz guitar on his solos; more like blues licks.
    He donated a lot of money to the D'Angelico exhibit at the Museum of Art in NYC.

User Info Menu

There was a YouTube recording of the great T Bone Walker recorded in his parents basement when Steve was a kid but it's gone now.