The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Delightful! Doesn't seem to matter what tune or non-tune you play, you always make it your own. It's like you've cracked the code or something.

This tune always reminds me: I spent the 80's playing in 'art bands' in the East Village. A girlfriend invited me to dinner at her parents place in Montclair somewhere. Dad pulls out an old Gibson archtop. 'Play us something'. Kind of embarrassed I explain that I never play solo guitar and don't really know where to start. 'You don't even know Bye Bye Blackbird? Just play me the chords.' More excuses. 'I thought you where a guitar player!'

I've been trying to get better at it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    Delightful! Doesn't seem to matter what tune or non-tune you play, you always make it your own. It's like you've cracked the code or something.

This tune always reminds me: I spent the 80's playing in 'art bands' in the East Village. A girlfriend invited me to dinner at her parents place in Montclair somewhere. Dad pulls out an old Gibson archtop. 'Play us something'. Kind of embarrassed I explain that I never play solo guitar and don't really know where to start. 'You don't even know Bye Bye Blackbird? Just play me the chords.' More excuses. 'I thought you where a guitar player!'

I've been trying to get better at it.
    Ha! Great story. I absolutely hate being called on to play at parties like some trained parrot doing parlor tricks. Reminds me of a time that happened where the party host pulled out this old junker nylon string guitar and commanded me to “play something for us”. Well, I tried for about 10 minutes to get it to play in tune and finally wrestled with bad action and terrible sound to squeak out some tune it another. Almost everyone talked over the performance, which was a good thing probably, and then gave way overdone rousing applause when I finished. I don’t remember what happened after that, but I’m sure it put me in a foul mood.

User Info Menu

I don’t know. Don’t we play to make people happy? I think you should always have something ready for these occasions.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docsteve
    I don’t know. Don’t we play to make people happy? I think you should always have something ready for these occasions.

No, not really. I do truly love it if people enjoy what I do as a byproduct, but that’s not in the slightest bit why I do it. Shit, it’s not even to make myself happy. It can be a deep subject; why we do this, but I know that entertainment at least for me is far removed from my motivation.

User Info Menu

Since the bug landed I've become something of a hermit, and I continue to enjoy the lifestyle. I avoid parties. Problem solved! :-)

User Info Menu

Since the bug landed I've become something of a hermit, and I continue to enjoy the lifestyle. I avoid parties. Problem solved! :-)
    same here- I make videos instead of playing gigs. Pays about the same

User Info Menu

I did learn a pretty passable Don't Get Around Much Anymore, but luckily I haven't been asked to perform.

User Info Menu

I did learn a pretty passable Don't Get Around Much Anymore, but luckily I haven't been asked to perform.
    c’mon, post it here!

User Info Menu

Damn you Keinhaut! Leave me alone. :-) (i know i should post something...someday...)

User Info Menu

Damn you Keinhaut! Leave me alone. :-) (i know i should post something...someday...)

too funny!!! You be u, all good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    No, not really. I do truly love it if people enjoy what I do as a byproduct, but that’s not in the slightest bit why I do it. Shit, it’s not even to make myself happy. It can be a deep subject; why we do this, but I know that entertainment at least for me is far removed from my motivation.
    I find that interesting ....

background
    I think you play superbly
    (and I don’t play as good as you)

I’ve worked out why I play
    to make people happy and
    to make me and the band happy too
    all the practicing I do
    (although i enjoy that too)
    is so i can be free and relaxed
    on the bandstand , which makes
    the music sound and feel better

would you care to expand on why do you play ?

no pressure man , you don’t have to explain
    especially if it would be counter productive

and/or
    it would be great to hear you play
    don’t explain
    i love that tune
    (and Billy Holiday’s version)

PS we don’t talk about Billy nearly enough round here she’s the real deal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    I find that interesting ....

background
    I think you play superbly
    (and I don’t play as good as you)

I’ve worked out why I play
    to make people happy and
    to make me and the band happy too
    all the practicing I do
    (although i enjoy that too)
    is so i can be free and relaxed
    on the bandstand , which makes
    the music sound and feel better

would you care to expand on why do you play ?

no pressure man , you don’t have to explain
    especially if it would be counter productive

and/or
    it would be great to hear you play
    don’t explain
    i love that tune
    (and Billy Holiday’s version)

PS we don’t talk about Billy nearly enough round here she’s the real deal
    indeed, Billy! I just recorded a version of god bless the child this morning (upload to YouTube in process) I think mentioning her legacy in the context of discussing why we play is telling in of itself. It may sound trite to say it keeps me sane but that’s really the essential thing. I believe I could easily have succumbed to any number of addictions based on my personality, so getting addicted to playing guitar was an extremely constructive way to channel all of my energies and tendencies, especially when I was younger. Now, after 50+ years playing it’s so deeply ingrained that it’s just tied to who I am. I breathe- I play, I sleep and eat- I play, you get the idea.

User Info Menu

yes , I get it ....

User Info Menu

Dad pulls out an old Gibson archtop. 'Play us something'.
    It is for precisely that moment that you're glad you learned this song.

It's a beautiful song, a true classic . . .

User Info Menu

I usually go for Here Comes The Sun Bye Bye Blackbird