The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

If you're following along on the Jazz Standards list, we already covered Star Eyes in Oct 2012 (!), so for Apr 2022, our standard will be A Foggy Day (George & Ira Gershwin, 1937).

Background:
    https://www.jazzstandards.com/compos.../afoggyday.htm

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Why do people not like the standards thread? Wtf lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Why do people not like the standards thread? Wtf lol.

As a newcomer, I am wondering what they difference in intent is, as compared to the virtual jam threads?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by j4zz
    As a newcomer, I am wondering what they difference in intent is, as compared to the virtual jam threads?
    It’s basically working through a list of ‘most popular standards’ or something like that, roughly in chronological order. You get a month on each tune.

A complication is that it excludes quite a lot of tunes that were done the first time this thread was around (it’s been going for years). So some familiar tunes are not included this time.

There might be a ‘sticky thread’ about it somewhere, not sure.

User Info Menu

Basically, the PS threads are taken from the Great American Songbook and are mostly the old show tunes. They follow the list on this site here:

Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals Contents

But, as graham said, tunes are not repeated even though it may literally be years since they were last done (the threads were started in 2010). So, if your fave tune was done in 2010 you won't see it again even though it's 2022. A little crazy but there you are.

The VJ threads are for compositions after about 1940, which is the bop era, and composed specifically by performing jazz musicians. So you're going to get a lot more modern tunes, bebop especially.

I think really quite a lot of guys here just wanted some more energy and diversity rather than repeating all the old chestnuts again and again :-)

Also, on the VJ threads the tunes are picked by the players here. On the other one, they're dictated by the set list.

User Info Menu

I've just realised how long ago it was since the PS threads were started. That's TWELVE YEARS!

Where has it gone? Seems like yesterday (almost)

User Info Menu

Somehow I missed all these organized tune if the month type things and just keep posting up tunes or non tunes at random times. Oh well

User Info Menu

I know, but that's you. We accept all that :-)

Anyway, most of what you do isn't the 'tune of the month/week', they rarely coincide, if ever. I suppose you could try it if you want, though. It's quite fun being presented with a tune out of the blue!

The other thing is that most of the guys seem to want to do it the regular way - head-improv-head, right key, right tempo, etc. Personally, I don't mind at all. It can be as individual, idiosyncratic, or as abstract as you like. More the merrier, I say

User Info Menu

Ah, I see you've already done 'My Romance'. Outstanding!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Ah, I see you've already done 'My Romance'. Outstanding!
    thanks- and as noted; non-regular