The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi,

I've mentioned that I'm taking lessons at my local musicschool which officially only teaches classical guitar, and as such I also get to be a part of a guitar ensemble. A really mixed bunch ranging from 2 boys who can't be much older than 13 to someone who could easily be 5 times that, all with the common denominator that "playing together isn't a classical guitarist's strong suit" (dixit the teacher who also leads the ensemble ... and who's also a tuba player )

Anyway, we've been working on fun simple pieces from a bundle by Thierry Tisserand, and now a slightly more demanding brazilian piece by Celsio Machado (marchinha de carnaval).

I thought it could be nice to ask around here for suggestions for pieces (originals or transcriptions) for 2 or 3 guitars that are approximately of the same level of difficulty. Evidently they'd have to be not completely unsuitable for playing without a pick

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Hi,

I've mentioned that I'm taking lessons at my local musicschool which officially only teaches classical guitar, and as such I also get to be a part of a guitar ensemble. A really mixed bunch ranging from 2 boys who can't be much older than 13 to someone who could easily be 5 times that, all with the common denominator that "playing together isn't a classical guitarist's strong suit" (dixit the teacher who also leads the ensemble ... and who's also a tuba player )

Anyway, we've been working on fun simple pieces from a bundle by Thierry Tisserand, and now a slightly more demanding brazilian piece by Celsio Machado (marchinha de carnaval).

I thought it could be nice to ask around here for suggestions for pieces (originals or transcriptions) for 2 or 3 guitars that are approximately of the same level of difficulty. Evidently they'd have to be not completely unsuitable for playing without a pick

Thanks!
    A friend recently turned me on to Los Indios Tabajaras. The do a duet version of Recuerdos de La Alhambra that you might be able to adapt/steal. There's probably other stuff in their discography that would work, but I haven't gotten deeply enough into it yet for anything else specific.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    duet version of Recuerdos de La Alhambra that you might be able to adapt/steal.
    Hmmm, to give an idea of what we're currently working on

And not at all like this

User Info Menu

Bach two and three part inventions are fun. There is one for every key.

User Info Menu

+1 for the Bach Inventions. Bill Leavitt (Berklee School of Music) has a book of classical pieces arranged for pick style guitar that has quite a few of the Bach inventions in it.

User Info Menu

Heh, I'd hoped to get some jazzy or vaudeville style suggestions here.

Bach is fun of course, but I have some problems with the idea of playing his music on guitar...

User Info Menu

Celso Machado has quite a lot of duets that are fun and easy to play. Quebra Quecho comes to mind, can’t remember the other one that we played in our little duo. He wrote some things for guitar and flute that sit well on two guitars.

Ahmed al-Salamouny, despite the name, is a German Bossa guitarist who has written a lot of easy-ish duets. Acoustic Music in Osnabrück has sone of his books.

And then there are any number of duets for two lutes that have been transcribed for guitar, but I think you’re looking for something more contemporary.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk