The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

Hello. When I see posts of the best Jazz Blues solos, it seems the videos are mainly non-guitar. Could you post some really good Jazz Blues solos that have a prominent guitar solo? I like It Aint Necessarily So, by Grant Green, for example.
    As always, Thanks in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Philip Catherine's solo starts at 2:00. Note Blues in the Closet uses the jazz blues progression of I\IV\V but for the second part goes to IIIm\IVdom7, IIm\Vdom7 before returning to the I.

User Info Menu

That Catherine solo was wicked. At first I thought he was going to be taking a Bluesy approach only, then he just took off with a full-on Jazzier assault. I pretty sure he is not American, and I always find the lens that non-Americans view the Blues to be interesting and a bit unique. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Bill Doggett's Honky Tonk.the guitar solo is a classic..Billy Butlers playing is super tasty and has produced many riffs that are now

used as cliche fillers for many players

is it jazz.blues you ask..lets see

Jimmy Smith thinks so

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    That Catherine solo was wicked. At first I thought he was going to be taking a Bluesy approach only, then he just took off with a full-on Jazzier assault. I pretty sure he is not American, and I always find the lens that non-Americans view the Blues to be interesting and a bit unique. Thanks!
    Here is Catherine again with the same song but with Kenny Drew and NHOP (again), for a live show. Catherine is playing a Les Paul here. Yea, Catherine is from Europe and was influenced by fellow Euro Rene Thomas. Catherine is one of my favorite guitarist since he can play various styles, uses distortion, blends a lot of notes and can even rock-it out, but still is a first rate bebop jazzer.

User Info Menu

Here is Doug Raney, son of Jimmy, with Pumpkin's Delight:

User Info Menu

Bob DeVos always has a nice blues vibe:

User Info Menu

That was one "jazzy sounding" jazz blues. The drums, and what sounded to my ears like a lot of 2-5-1 changes, as well as the solo, did not have much of a Bluesy feel. Although my ears could pick out the changes for the most part. It did not seem to have much pentatonic or blues scale, either. Man, this Jazz Blues style is very broad!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    Bill Doggett's Honky Tonk.the guitar solo is a classic..Billy Butlers playing is super tasty and has produced many riffs that are now

used as cliche fillers for many players

is it jazz.blues you ask..lets see

Jimmy Smith thinks so

This definitely reminds me of some local Live Jazz nights in which someone includes "The Thrill is Gone." It swings the pendulum to the "bluer" side of Jazz Blues. I can see what you mean by the cliches, especially the choral ones. For me, they are a great motif to add to a good Jazz Blues solo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Bob DeVos always has a nice blues vibe:

I forgot about Bob Devos. I have 3 CDs from him that I bought years ago. He has some tasty playing.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell is one of the 'bluesiest' jazz guitarists.

User Info Menu

I wonder when this Jazz Blues genre became popular. Was it with the rise of the Organ Trios? My understanding is most of the Bird era Blues were more of Bebop sound. And early Jazz Blues guitarists were not as plentiful as horn players until the late 50s and 60s. There just don't seem to be that many heralded Jazz Blues Recordings with Guitar as the lead.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Kenny Burrell is one of the 'bluesiest' jazz guitarists.

True. Now this is one example of some heralded Jazz Blues! Thanks for the reminder.

In fact, I am going to look up the lead sheet and see if I might be able to finally tackle it. I have been especially fond of this song since Dutchbopper posted his version a couple of years ago.

User Info Menu

I wonder when this Jazz Blues genre became popular.
    I wonder what it even is... it's definitely no blues from what I hear (I guess using a blues scale or a 12 bar I-IV-V scheme doesn't give you a blues automagically...)

Now, if you want blues on a "jazzguitar" ...

(aaaahhhhh.... needed this!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I wonder what it even is... it's definitely no blues from what I hear (I guess using a blues scale or a 12 bar I-IV-V scheme doesn't give you a blues automagically...)

Now, if you want blues on a "jazzguitar"

(aaaahhhhh.... needed this!)
    You are right. What really is 'Jazz Blues?" Ah, the futility of trying to name a style of music. Still, the videos you posted were clearly undistilled Blues, and well-played too!

User Info Menu

I wonder when this Jazz Blues genre became popular. Was it with the rise of the Organ Trios? My understanding is most of the Bird era Blues were more of Bebop sound. And early Jazz Blues guitarists were not as plentiful as horn players until the late 50s and 60s. There just don't seem to be that many heralded Jazz Blues Recordings with Guitar as the lead.
    Eddie Lang and Lonnie Johnson were doing it in 1929.

User Info Menu

Don’t forget that the blues was an essential part of jazz right from the start, as a genre within jazz it’s not a later development at all.

User Info Menu

Kenny Burrell on guitar.

Barney

User Info Menu

People need to expand their definition of the blues a little, I think...

Charlie Christian was blues as all get out.

User Info Menu

Some early electric guitar blues:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Some early electric guitar blues:

This version cuts off the famous intro, where he says "It's a blues in B, watch me for the changes, and uh...try to keep up."

User Info Menu

What a shame there wasn't a Charlie Christian trio.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Charlie Christian was blues as all get out.
    Absolutely true, and not just on blues tunes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ben Monder playing blues on a piece with a New Orleans second line feel.

Wait for it, somewhere his solo begins 3:08.

User Info Menu

Still, the videos you posted were clearly undistilled Blues, and well-played too!
    Never meant to say they weren't ... undistilled, the way it's supposed to be in my book

(You can actually argue if it's not distilled from the purely vocal tradition which must be at the true origin of this music )