The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's a version of "Invitation" from my solo guitar album "Guitarra Callada".

No chords, I wanted to do something monophonic, a la Sonny Rollins or Lee Konitz.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A great version of Invitation.
    A fresh look at this great tune.
    Great sound with really jazz feel!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Nice sound! Your Bandcamp page mentions a focus on acoustic guitar- is this recorded acoustically? And what guitar? The basses sound like bronze strings?

Also, really nice Giant Steps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Nice sound! Your Bandcamp page mentions a focus on acoustic guitar- is this recorded acoustically? And what guitar? The basses sound like bronze strings?

Also, really nice Giant Steps.
    Thanks!

I’m currently working on material for a couple of solo acoustic guitar releases. I’ve been playing acoustic exclusively for nearly a year and adjusting my technique and compositional perspective has been an ongoing and enjoyable process. As I said, I expect to release a couple of acoustic albums in the coming months, mostly original pieces in alternate tunings.

The two albums on BandCamp are prior efforts - the solo guitar album turned out to be done on electric guitar because of my limited access to resources during lockdowns. “Invitation” was recorded on a Kiesel Allan Holdworth HH2 (a much nicer clean jazz guitar than you might think) with Pyramid Monel Strings, 12-48. “Giant Steps” was done on a hollowbody Reverend PA-1, tuned down two whole steps to C, Newtone strings 15-60.

Below you’ll find a link to a book of original pieces written in alternate tunings that I just published as a Kindle book.

User Info Menu

Interesting! When recorded cleanly enough, even electric guitars maintain some of that acoustical quality of the vibrating string. I have put Monel strings on my 17 inch archtop and I am really liking them a lot; I have not tried them on an electric guitar yet (i.e., solidbody). I also really like them on my flat top. These are the Martin Retro Monel strings.

I am an Allan Holdsworth fan and I've always been intrigued by his tiny little headless guitars, if nothing else for the sheer portability of them. One can get a base model alder HH2 from Keisel for about $1600 with case. That's a pretty competitive price. Do you use the original pick ups?

Giant Steps was tuned down to C? Wow. I heard the lower-than-E bass note but assumed you were using drop D tuning, not having checked it against one of my guitars. I have never experimented with other tunings, having enough trouble managing just the one.

User Info Menu

My Kiesel Holdsworth is a 2016 - they have changed the guitar since Allan died. Mine is mostly hollow inside and has a locking vibrato bridge that doesn’t require a back door in the body. It is a very lightweight, dynamic, and resonant guitar. I bought it with whatever pickups Allan used at the time, not the 22-pole Carvin type. I can’t speak for how the newer models sound. I will say the neck (I got the fattest version) plays easier than any guitar I have owned.

I love Monel strings; they have such a solid fundamental tone without the clank you get with bronze and brass. I am using the Martin Retro Laurence Juber set on my acoustic, tuned to DADGAD most of the time, but they handle most tunings fine.

I love tuning down! I have a version of “What is This Thing Called Love” in what I call “Extended Cello” tuning - CGDABE. I’ll post it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Interesting! When recorded cleanly enough, even electric guitars maintain some of that acoustical quality of the vibrating string. I have put Monel strings on my 17 inch archtop and I am really liking them a lot; I have not tried them on an electric guitar yet (i.e., solidbody). I also really like them on my flat top. These are the Martin Retro Monel strings.

I am an Allan Holdsworth fan and I've always been intrigued by his tiny little headless guitars, if nothing else for the sheer portability of them. One can get a base model alder HH2 from Keisel for about $1600 with case. That's a pretty competitive price. Do you use the original pick ups?

Giant Steps was tuned down to C? Wow. I heard the lower-than-E bass note but assumed you were using drop D tuning, not having checked it against one of my guitars. I have never experimented with other tunings, having enough trouble managing just the one.

User Info Menu

Ah, according to prior discussions Seymour Duncan had a custom wind for Allan (which can be ordered through their custom shop).

Hollowed is now a $100 option for the Kiesel.