The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi!

I am looking for some bebob-tunes to practice both soloing and comping with. I am especially interested in tunes that are harmonically difficult, but also good songs form composers like Charlie Parker etc.
    Information about sheets, albums and other things are much appreciated.

Hope you can help me

Thanks...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

aye, scan the real book for things like ornithology, yardbird suite etc etc...
    Or, if you havent got guys to play with, if you got an aebersold book of parker or gillespie you could have a lot of fun with that, theyre about $15 themselves but with postage them come to about £30 to the u.k :S

User Info Menu

The first two songs I started on when I switched to jazz guitar were both Dizzy Gillespie tunes: "A Night in Tunisia" and "Groovin' High". They've got a little bit of everything and are not too easy / not too hard. The real killer was trying to play these tunes at the speeds that Diz and his band played them at.

John Coltrane's version of "Favorite Things" is also a cool song to learn and will force you to discover the joys of atonality and dissonance.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

The Charlie Parker omnibook is also a great source for both be bop heads and some of his solos. Good Luck!

Thank you very much guys
    Very helpful information...

User Info Menu

The real book is my recommendation.

User Info Menu

Did this in 1979 but Omni book came out so I never published. Now is the time.
    Enjoy
    Fred
    http://www.fredparcells.com/Charlie_..._Tune_Book.pdf

User Info Menu

The lonk led me nowhere...but thanks for the thought Fred. For some bop try Kenny Burrell.

User Info Menu

Link...sorry.

User Info Menu

Try the home page
    Parcells Programming
    the link is there. You need the adobe reader to open the pdf
    Cheers Fred

User Info Menu

I am getting a "file is damaged and cannot be repaired" error message from Adobe...maybe it's just my machine. Thanks anyway.

User Info Menu

Fred....it took a while with my dial-up,but the link was good.
    That's quite a nicely laid out collection of Parker Tunes.Very good.Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Check out Coltrane - Giant Steps, It's quite a feat to improvise over effectively.

User Info Menu

Nice C. Parker book, link worked great! Thanks fparc.

User Info Menu

The obivious seems to have been overlooked (my opinion)...Wes Montgomery. While not of his material falls clearly in that genre his stylistic approach to the guitar is clearly bebop.

User Info Menu

Finally made a page for my Charlie Parker transcriptions:
    Charlie Parker Tunes

User Info Menu

That's great fred! This man(bird) was such an astonishing genius. Just listening to those old recordings makes the hair stand up on my back. I cut off all my head hair just recently to get rid of the work washing and cutting it involves, so now the skin on the head gets wrinkled with anticipation every time I hear the drums start a new tune, or the sax section or whatever. I love people who work for something good. Jazz is probably the best example of something good there is out there.
    Great work!
    Peace
    Skei (the old and getting older one)