The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

We are going to disagree here guys. Where would we be without innovation? There wouldn't be memorable, ground-breaking tunes to reinterpret and perfect (at times, ad nauseam) in the first place.

Innovation doesn't necessarily imply a major new music genre being created. LOL. And it's absolutely true that music does not have to break new ground to have value. By all means, write a new bop tune. Please.

If the most important thing for you is good (professional) execution of the (art) form, that's fine. We're all different, with different inspirations.

Of course there is nothing wrong with putting a new spin on a song to make it sound different from the original. The thing is, there is a plethora of people doing that compared to new material.

You're right, Citizen, but ultimately you end up doing what inspires you, hard, recognized or not.
    Last edited by Peter C; 02-04-2022 at 08:42 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    s provided I didn’t have to MD it
    MD it? Like doctor it up? :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    MD it? Like doctor it up? :-)
    Musical Director

User Info Menu

I think it would be fun to play in a band like this provided I didn’t have to MD it
    Also, if you didn't have 3 gigs a week.

User Info Menu

Of course, if you're going to pull off something like this..... Cory Henry showing on organ that blipping the throttle on your V12 sports car engine can be a lot more fun than flooring it the whole time.
    Last edited by Peter C; 02-06-2022 at 09:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukena
    also, if you didn't have 3 gigs a week.
    *shudder*

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Of course, if you're going to pull off something like this..... Cory Henry showing on organ that blipping the throttle on your V12 sports car engine can be a lot more fun than flooring it the whole time.
    Nothing wrong with playing good songs. Jazz is largely about the reinterpretation of popular song...

Different thing from PomoJ IMO, which is trying to make it into a twee vintage thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    That's what all those gears are for in the Testarosa in my mind.

Seriously, texture relies on variation - louder/softer, lighter/darker, etc - and can become a rhythmic motif of its own. Touch, tone, taste, and timing - all essential oils in the performance event.

User Info Menu

You need to write a tune called ‘the Testarossa of my mind’

User Info Menu

You need to write a tune called ‘the Testarossa of my mind’
    i'll get right on it. Would you like co-credit?

User Info Menu

How could nobody have posted this already???

User Info Menu

(there’s never bloody charts.)
    PJ is often quite witty.This video is not (imo) and even if there was a chart, I'd hate to play it.

User Info Menu

"Smoke on the Water" sorta works as old timey swing, though less appealing with vocals to me.

The discussions here reminded me of something Bill Frisell said in a recent interview about finding one's voice as a musician. He recalled the "Broadway" albums he did with Paul Motian, noting that Motian knew all the old broadways tunes, words and melodies, having grown up with them. Frisell added that, having grown up in 60s, tunes like "Surfer Girl" were similarly deep within him. His basic advice is to embrace who you are, not be ashamed of the music you grew up with, etc.

As a child of the 70s, maybe one of the tunes with which I grew up may end up like this:

Perhaps it could be seen as a gag or novelty number, like some of the others noted herein. But beyond that, I feel something's lurking in this, I can't quite articulate it. Not that old saw, as R. Crumb asks, "Where has it gone, all the beautiful music of our grandparents?" But something...

User Info Menu

Another fun cover. Heard this and have been working on my slide ever since.