The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Our standard for Feb 2022 will be Just Friends (John Klenner, Sam Lewis, 1931).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Just Friends)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, good tune!

User Info Menu

Aha, no problem, found this lurking in the archives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Aha, no problem, found this lurking in the archives.

Great take!

User Info Menu

Thanks kris!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It's often the case that hearing a vocal version can help internalize a song on the guitar.

User Info Menu

I plan to do a new clip, but this one is the head with the "Friends" solo composed by Jimmy Raney, found in vol. 20 of the Aebersold set. Working through those solos is still the single best learning experience I've ever had in jazz guitar. At the end I have some fun with a technique I learned for rolling "Credits"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I plan to do a new clip, but this one is the head with the "Friends" solo composed by Jimmy Raney, found in vol. 20 of the Aebersold set. Working through those solos is still the single best learning experience I've ever had in jazz guitar. At the end I have some fun with a technique I learned for rolling "Credits"

Nice sound and playing.
    I know that solo from Jimmy Raney, I practised that solo in the 80's with the Aebersold record . Very good choice for practice.
    Not easy!
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Nice sound and playing.
    I know that solo from Jimmy Raney, I practised that solo in the 80's with the Aebersold record . Very good choice for practice.
    Not easy!
    Best
    Kris
    Thank you, kris. Your opinion carries weight! The "head" part of the clip was all mine, and partly improvised as I was playing it.

And yes, that Raney solo is really challenging. I still don't have the timing right in some of the faster sections about half-way through it. I also never got it to the tempo that JR plays it. But the ideas in that solo are incredible. Just stepping in Jimmy Raney's footprints is such a thrill.

User Info Menu

It makes a good bossa.

User Info Menu

No, that's not true, not every song can be played bossa. Well, they can, but it doesn't sound good.

User Info Menu

No, a professional wouldn't say 'I can turn everything into a bossa because I'm a professional', that's too childish. A professional would say 'Some tunes, not written as bossas, can sound great as bossas'.

User Info Menu

Correct, some are much better as a samba.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Some say even more general- Latin style.
    How are you Jeff?

User Info Menu

Some say even more general- Latin style.
    How are you Jeff?
    Pretty good. Digging out from a big snow...and working on projects, some musical, some visual.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Bossa = samba = latin. Jiggy rhythm, straight not swung, basically. When they were originally written as swung.

User Info Menu

Absolutely, I agree, it's their culture and they know what they're doing. But do you really need to be a professional musician to know that? All you need is a feel for the music and a good ear. Probably a lot of street kids in Brazil could tell you immediately what was a real bossa nova tune and what was an American take-off, like Blue Bossa.

But Jobim was classically trained and spent years playing American jazz standards in clubs before he wrote his bossa tunes. It's not widely known that the fundamental bossa harmonies aren't native to Brazil, they're taken from American standards. 'Wave' is based on a blues format.

This sort of thing might interest you.

Bossa Nova

And

Peter Spitzer Music Blog: Jobim's "Out of Nowhere" Tunes

Peter Spitzer Music Blog: More Jobim Tunes With Borrowed Chords

Incidentally, I don't necessarily like all bossa music. I find some of the tunes a bit silly and irritating.

User Info Menu

I was playing with a Brazilian guitarist in a jazz club - it was a very interesting experience.
    Tell me. How was it interesting?

User Info Menu

In short, it is about playing specific chords in the accompaniment.
    Did you keep up with him?

User Info Menu

If you had to say one thing you learnt, what would it be?

User Info Menu

Understood, thank you

User Info Menu

"Just Friends"
    I dedicate this recording to two nice musicians - DB and Lionelsax...
    This is one of my last recordings.
    The experiment with Band in the Box. The saxophone generated by BB-could be of better quality. The exchange of the eight-bar phrases / sax-guitar / is quite creative.Easy jazz.
    Hope You like it:

Box
    Last edited by kris; 02-11-2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Error

User Info Menu

"Just Friends"
    I dedicate this recording to two nice musicians - DB and Loinelsax...
    The experiment with Band in the Box. The saxophone generated by BB-could be of better quality. The exchange of the eight-bar phrases / sax-guitar / is quite creative.Easy jazz.
    Hope You like it:

Box
    Thanks a lot for sharing, hum... Don't get me wrong, is it really a saxophone ?
    Maybe it's a MIDI guitar, am I wrong ?
    That was great ! Great emulation !

Oh ! I didn't read, I was right.
    Thanks a lot !
    Maybe I should try to record something too.
    Or a collab...

Dutchbopper Guest
    "Just Friends"
    I dedicate this recording to two nice musicians - DB and Lionelsax...
    Hope You like it:

Box
    Very nice playing Kris! Thanks for the mention.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk