The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    "Just Friends"
    I dedicate this recording to two nice musicians - DB and Lionelsax...
    This is one of my last recordings.
    The experiment with Band in the Box. The saxophone generated by BB-could be of better quality. The exchange of the eight-bar phrases / sax-guitar / is quite creative.Easy jazz.
    Hope You like it:

Box
    This is my answer !

It just sounds like everything I play.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I plan to do a new clip, but this one is the head with the "Friends" solo composed by Jimmy Raney, found in vol. 20 of the Aebersold set. Working through those solos is still the single best learning experience I've ever had in jazz guitar. At the end I have some fun with a technique I learned for rolling "Credits"

Very nice, I've got this play-a-long in the Volume 34 "Jam Session".
    I've always found it difficult, I think there was a soloist then they deleted his part that's why it's difficult to keep the timing, they play for real with someone they deleted.
    I'm very bad at that game.

User Info Menu

Play-a-longs are good for practising.Aebersold's play-a-longs are played by top musicians.Sometimes the piano gets in the way of playing improvisation.
    I practiced a lot with these recordings and finally started playing with live musicians.

User Info Menu

I really have to learn it on the guitar !

User Info Menu

Here's a version I did quite a while back. I almost forgot about this one:

https://soundclick.com/r/sde9d

User Info Menu

Hi !

I'm not ashamed, I just learnt it on the guitar.
    My looper is noisy.

User Info Menu

I like the sound of that 7th string in the mix.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    I like the sound of that 7th string in the mix.
    Thanks very much, it's a very cheap guitar, I put a bass string on it.
    At first I didn't want to trust @nevershouldhavesoldit when he said I would have some problems if I didn't modify little things on the nut, I did and he was right.
    The guitar is a little bit more in tune, not perfect but it's better.

User Info Menu

No prob. It sounds pretty good. The string is maybe a little warbly. Sounds like strat-itis strangely. Probably worth having the guitar than not tho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    No prob. It sounds pretty good. The string is maybe a little warbly. Sounds like strat-itis strangely. Probably worth having the guitar than not tho.
    It's a 12 years old string ! A woundround string, a real bass string.
    The others are flatwounds.
    It sounds like a Stratocaster maybe because of the neck (maple neck).
    This guitar is supposed to play metal.

User Info Menu

This is Joe's version from the "I Remember Charlie Parker" album.
    He also did an up-tempo version on the, "Catch Me," album

User Info Menu

Hi !

This is my last take...

User Info Menu

Solo improv recorded with the band "Just Friends" in December 2021

User Info Menu

Wish I didn't crap out on the last section lol but overall happy with the take. Just trying to get my feel of everything decent including the soloing and sound changes and orchestration.

User Info Menu

Well - here goes...I have been 'Lurking' in the depths for a while now. I am a bit like Lionel Sax - played sax ( big band) and piano and guitar ( folk-rock) all my life, with a 25 year break for work and raising kids. Now taking jazz guitar lessons with an awesome teacher. This week's ( mid april) lesson with my teacher revolves around Just Friends. I know that I am a bit late to the party here. The comraderie ( sp?) and musicianship here are just great. I listen to , and respect, everything that is said and played. I am too much of a novice to have the cojones to post any playing, but I wanted to post my two cents, for what they are worth. I've been spending time with taking the solo off of a Jimmy Rainey album, rather than the Aebersold solo. The album is more interesting. My teacher took lessons with Pat Martino long ago, and our "method" is Pat's method. I am probably as good as he was at age 2! All Dorian theory. No slavery to all the modes in each and every scale, as I could not ever master that. The dorian thing works well for me - it is an entire pedagogy, but relatively simple to understand. Again, I really appreciate the give and take in these forums, and I think all you guys are great!
    -jeff ( sleepytime)
    Comins GCS-1
    Heritage Mimi Fox hollowbody