The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I recently listened to the Sonny Rollins original and learned the "right" tones, but...

Most guys seem to play the "wrong" Realbook version. (With the G instead of F and a couple of other notes changed)
    Also on a lot of recordings I have they play the Realbook melody.

What is your melody of choice, in particular at jam sessions?
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 01-26-2022 at 04:51 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play the melody from the Miles version from “Relaxin with…”:

but my favorite version is Grant Green’s, which is so wrong it’s right:

User Info Menu

I learned it from the version on "Bags Groove," so if I was leading, I'd play it that way (and that tempo too!)

If I wasn't leading, I'd do my best to never try and play that head in unison with somebody else

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I learned it from the version on "Bags Groove," so if I was leading, I'd play it that way (and that tempo too!)
    Me too, that was what I referred to as "original" earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If I wasn't leading, I'd do my best to never try and play that head in unison with somebody else
    Maybe I should follow your advice...
    Last edited by DonEsteban; 01-26-2022 at 04:51 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Gotta save this clip for whenever somebody asks "What's so cool about jazz guitar?"

By the way, since we're talking about this tune, I had a really tough time when I first learned this one, remembering the little syncopated bits in the head. So I made up words to it. I still sing it in my head when I play it...I think I learned this tune 20 years ago!

O-le-o
    O-le-o
    Not but-ter
    Or short-en-ing is workin' for me
    Mar-gar-ine
    Mar-gar-ine
    When I make a pound cake
    It's got to be
    Im-per-i-all-y

O-le-o
    O-le-o
    Not but-ter
    Or short-en-ing is workin' for me
    Mar-gar-ine
    Mar-gar-ine
    When I make a pound cake
    It's got to be ol-e-o

My great aunt's pound cake recipe SPECIFICALLY calls for "Oleo," and you'd think anything would be better with butter, but I assure you, there are crucial exceptions.

User Info Menu

I usually only comp on this one, as it often gets called by horn players at jam sessions I frequent. I like all of the above versions. Maybe that's the beauty of the tune, lending itself to versioning. But I think I'll bookmark that Pass Pedersen one as a reminder of what is, indeed, cool about jazz guitar!