The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,

I'm having a particularly hard time with this phrase (underlined in yellow) from Parker's Mood. The image is from the Omnibook for C Instruments. I know the order of all the notes, but what I'm having a hard time parsing out is how Parker phrases them (slurring, accents, etc.). With those chromatic 32nd note runs, should I be hammering on? Which notes should I be emphasizing, etc? He plays a bit too fast for my relatively untrained ears to be able to pick it up haha. I can play everything up to that point, but any help you all may be able to provide would be much appreciated.

Help with the Parker's Mood Solo-parker-png

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The whole solo, I found (years ago), is surprisingly quite playable on the guitar. Just figure out the most comfortable position for each phrase, and yeah, lotsa hammers and slurs! Oh, just use the transcribed work as a rough guide, Bird's phrasing is often impossible to express with written notes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    The whole solo, I found (years ago), is surprisingly quite playable on the guitar. Just figure out the most comfortable position for each phrase, and yeah, lotsa hammers and slurs! Oh, just use the transcribed work as a rough guide, Bird's phrasing is often impossible to express with written notes...
    Yeah, I was having no problem up until the underlined section haha. He just plays that phrase so fast, I have a hard time even hearing anything other than the first and last notes of the run.

User Info Menu

You should be able to slow it down on youtube, there is an option for it in the settings.

User Info Menu

Hah, out of curiosity, I played it at 0.50 speed on YouTube. Slur like anything! Especially the notes over Bb7.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 01-11-2022 at 11:50 AM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I would have to look at it more on the fretboard to be sure, but generally speaking it’s not beyond pickable, speed wise.

Repetition, in other words.