The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    M-ster usually only posts the tunes up and then disappears to do his own thing elsewhere. So I'll answer you.

Who can blame him, the most popular threads are pseudo-philosophical arguments about what music theory is and those just devolve into the same people having the same argument.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, I wouldn't entirely disagree although some comments are useful when they're accurate. It's certainly easier to text out a lot of blah than preparing a tune... especially when you're at work :-)

User Info Menu

If I can add a personal note, I think there's a tendency to regard the Songbook tunes as somewhat dated, a bit fuddy-duddy, and all that, and go for 'cooler' and more modern tunes. I think, if one wants to play jazz, that that's a great mistake.

Many of those older tunes are absolute masterpieces of composition, beautifully written. But many players come from a rock or blues background and are practiced in their blues licks and pentatonic scales which suit the modern stuff. The older tunes, however, demand a far greater knowledge of scales and harmonies, if not music generally. And, to be honest, the melodies themselves tend to be much nicer too, really melodic. It was a much more romantic and lyrical period.

I know all this is somewhat of a generalisation but there is truth in it. And I'm completely certain that learning how to play and solo over tunes like Stella By Starlight, Autumn In New York, Stardust, Georgia On My Mind, and all the rest of those tunes, is a vast education. Perhaps an invaluable education.

But, you know, each to their own, it's just a personal view, although it's certainly an informed one.
    This was a helpful perspective. I too, personally like music that is more melodic. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Very short - comp and vocal @ 110 BPM

User Info Menu

Lou Reed eat your heart out :-)

User Info Menu

Lou Reed eat your heart out :-)