The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I can see a revival coming for this obscure tune. As Dan Adler pointed out on facebook, it is also a mutant variant of an earlier tune.

(edit: I see the tune was actually written by Donald Byrd).

Last edited by grahambop; 12-16-2021 at 06:19 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Infectious little number

User Info Menu

Strangest album cover in jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I’m not sure about that...

The prescient Mr Chambers-63f46f19-51e7-4207-a6ea-89880b4170be-jpeg

User Info Menu

'Omicron' is of course based on 'Woody'n'You' by Dizzy Gillespie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I’m not sure about that...

The prescient Mr Chambers-63f46f19-51e7-4207-a6ea-89880b4170be-jpeg
    I just bought that album a month or so ago. It is actually a great album with some very good guitar work by among others Duane Allman, Cornell Dupree and David Spinozza.

Sure the cover looks, uh, unusual now, but it made a big, uh, splash back in the day and sold about a gajillion copies and vaulted Herbie into the stratosphere as a jazz-pop musician.

User Info Menu

What do you find strange about the Chambers album cover? All I see is a man with a bass in what looks like a public park.

Now the bass being in its case with the "stand" pulled out on the bottom (I assume this can be tucked in), is odd, but other than that I don't see anything strange.

User Info Menu

Now we've all been exposed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I just bought that album a month or so ago. It is actually a great album with some very good guitar work by among others Duane Allman, Cornell Dupree and David Spinozza.

Sure the cover looks, uh, unusual now, but it made a big, uh, splash back in the day and sold about a gajillion copies and vaulted Herbie into the stratosphere as a jazz-pop musician.
    Has your copy got the dodgy photo inside? Apparently later pressings had this removed.

The prescient Mr Chambers-424dfc09-1643-4048-9e1f-a5475f29b29c-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    What do you find strange about the Chambers album cover? All I see is a man with a bass in what looks like a public park.
    It’s in keeping with a whole series of Blue Note covers which showed the artist in a public location, as shown in these examples from the Blue Note Cover Art book:

The prescient Mr Chambers-4d304a36-5b75-4601-a5d3-63fe240ae3a9-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal

Now the bass being in its case with the "stand" pulled out on the bottom (I assume this can be tucked in), is odd, but other than that I don't see anything strange.
    Usually musicians are pictured with the instruments uncased.

User Info Menu

Notice there's a wheel attached. Smart!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Notice there's a wheel attached. Smart!
    With the larger photo I can see it is a wheel. With that type of large bass one couldn't take a taxi to a gig and it was expensive to own a large enough vehicle in cities like NYC. Maybe Mr. Chambers had to walk to his gigs!

User Info Menu

Has your copy got the dodgy photo inside? Apparently later pressings had this removed.

The prescient Mr Chambers-424dfc09-1643-4048-9e1f-a5475f29b29c-jpeg
    Keep yer flute where I can see it!

User Info Menu

There's at least three people in that photo

shrieks in horror!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    There's at least three people in that photo

shrieks in horror!
    I guess we can all be glad that there are only humans in that photo.

User Info Menu

“Doctor my eyes have seen…. “
    Herbie.
    Ew.

User Info Menu

It immediately looked weird to me also for some reason.

User Info Menu

I see the tune was actually written by Donald Byrd.
    Did PC compose anything? I'm diggin the tune. Might have to listen to the rest of the record.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Did PC compose anything? I'm diggin the tune. Might have to listen to the rest of the record.
    Looks like he composed 3 of the tunes on the record:

Whims of Chambers - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I can see a revival coming for this obscure tune. As Dan Adler pointed out on facebook, it is also a mutant variant of an earlier tune.

(edit: I see the tune was actually written by Donald Byrd).

It seems to me the double bass is moved by Paul Chambers.
    A small swivel wheel is attached to the leg of the double bass.
    Interesting...

User Info Menu

It’s in keeping with a whole series of Blue Note covers which showed the artist in a public location, as shown in these examples from the Blue Note Cover Art book:
    It all makes sense, if that bass has a wheel. Like the others, he is on his way to a gig or a studio.

User Info Menu

It could be somewhere near Rudy Van Gelder’s studio which was at 25 Prospect Avenue, Hackensack, New Jersey.

Looks a bit different now though.

The prescient Mr Chambers-37328261-b151-48d5-a4e0-f33740562b4b-jpeg

User Info Menu

Two things: Trumpeter Donald Byrd(Omicron) was a great musician . . . however, he is largely remembered for his Pop hit "Blackbird" --which came out in '73 and was a "crossover" commercial success as was Herbie Mann--one of the most commercially successful musicians of all time. In my day, Mann's name was said with a snicker since he was not considered a serious Jazzer. Most Jazzers think of James Moody, Hubert Laws, Frank Wess and Yussef Lateef in re: flute. Great piece, G.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

It could be somewhere near Rudy Van Gelder’s studio which was at 25 Prospect Avenue, Hackensack, New Jersey.

Looks a bit different now though.

The prescient Mr Chambers-37328261-b151-48d5-a4e0-f33740562b4b-jpeg
    You can see a slope in both photos. According to Wiki the studio moved in 1959 to 445 Sylvan Ave. Englewood Cliffs, NJ