User Info Menu

I just saw Robert Altman’s The Long Goodbye. I’ve seen it many times before and was surprised how fresh it still looked.

The Dave Grusin trio with Jack Sheldon version of the John Williams penned theme song is now playing all the time in my head. I tried to find some guitar jazz versions or sheets or tabs of it in the Internet but couldn’t find anything.

Is it so forgotten gem that nobody has played it since Grusin and Sheldon and others in the soundtrack?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    I just saw Robert Altman’s The Long Goodbye. I’ve seen it many times before and was surprised how fresh it still looked.

The Dave Grusin trio with Jack Sheldon version of the John Williams penned theme song is now playing all the time in my head. I tried to find some guitar jazz versions or sheets or tabs of it in the Internet but couldn’t find anything.

Is it so forgotten gem that nobody has played it since Grusin and Sheldon and others in the soundtrack?
    I saw this film when it first came out..I have no idea why I was so attracted to the film..but the hook was the music..the theme was used throughout the film-for door bells..a mariachi band plays it in a restaurant..at a funeral a band plays it..and so on..

I obtained the original sheet music and brought it to Ted Greene when I studied with him..he looked at it for a few seconds..and played it as a chord melody..I wanted to ask him how he "knew"
    some of the chords would work..

ahhh.."Can you recognize the theme.."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    I saw this film when it first came out..I have no idea why I was so attracted to the film..but the hook was the music..the theme was used throughout the film-for door bells..a mariachi band plays it in a restaurant..at a funeral a band plays it..and so on..

I obtained the original sheet music and brought it to Ted Greene when I studied with him..he looked at it for a few seconds..and played it as a chord melody..I wanted to ask him how he "knew"
    some of the chords would work..

ahhh.."Can you recognize the theme.."
    Wow! You didn’t happen to have a tape recorder on when Ted played it…?

There is other movies too with just one song played here and there but the Long Goodbye has something special.

Amazing details about the Long Goodbye: the screenplay was written by Leigh Brackett – who was also writing the screenplay to 1948 Marlowe movie The Big Sleep.

The lyrics to the theme song was written by Johnny Mercer – who had written the lyrics to the 1937 song Hooray for Hollywood which played in the beginning and the end of the Long Goodbye.

User Info Menu

sorry no tapes of Teds lessons..

Yep I searched for details of the film..I followed Altmans films also..Nashville has some reoccurring themes ..

whenever I run into the same person at different locations on the same day I feel like its an Altman film

Gould as Marlow in this film is perfect..a wise ass PI .. Nina Van Pallandt..she has a bit of mystery in her real life..I dont think she did any more films after TLG.

I just went back and read some long reviews of the film...It seems the ending confused all of them..they missed the obvious...Terry Lennox committed suicide .. you cant kill a dead man..!!

and yes..Mercer wrote many tunes that were the backdrop in films

the apartment next to mine is vacant .. I hope the "yoga girls" move in..

"..and it happens every day.."
    Last edited by wolflen; 10-23-2021 at 07:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Ha, I wish You luck with Your neighbours!

As an ex-smoker I almost got a taste of an ashtray in my mouth watching Gould ”Marlowe” smoking all the time, every scene!

Gould is perfect as a smart ass Marlowe but his car is a bit mystery to me. How come this bohemian chain smoker has a 1948 Lincoln Continental that has been maintained bright and shiny as a new car? He should have an old Peugeot like detective Columbo has! You never know who is a car hobbyist!
    Last edited by Herbie; 10-24-2021 at 02:15 AM.