The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Most bebop or hard bop goes by faster than my fingers can keep up, but after listening to our good friend, DutchBopper playing a relaxed Boplicity, I thought there must be a few bop heads I could work up.

So, any suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Most bebop or hard bop goes by faster than my fingers can keep up, but after listening to our good friend, DutchBopper playing a relaxed Boplicity, I thought there must be a few bop heads I could work up.

So, any suggestions?
    Yardbird Suite, Ornithology, Blues for Alice, Scrapple from the Apple. And they don’t have to be played at blistering tempi.

User Info Menu

Billie's Bounce, Joy Spring, Relaxin at Camarillo, can all be played really fast, but they also sound great at a moderate tempo as well.

User Info Menu

Joy Spring, My little suede shoes, Twisted, Now's the time, Lady Bird, Lulu's back in town , ......

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. I’ve heard most of them, but not always at relaxed tempos

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Thanks, guys. I’ve heard most of them, but not always at relaxed tempos
    Blues for Alice and Ornithology are not that hard. Doxy is really easy! Tenor Madness and Cool Blues too. O yeah, Boplicity of course due to its moderate tempo.

DB

User Info Menu

You can absolutely do Yardbird Suite, Sandu and Tenor Madness. I say this with full confidence because I can do it.

User Info Menu

I've played Tenor Madness before. I'll now get to work on some of the others. Thanks for the recommendations.

User Info Menu

Scrapple From The Apple,
    Barbados,
    Thriving From The Riff
    Straight No Chaser

User Info Menu

Does Cool Blues count?

User Info Menu

Oleo - seems to get more interesting rhythmically the slower you play it.

User Info Menu

Well the DB got me going on Joy Spring with his stuff he put up. For the past 2 weeks I have been woodshedding on the tune about an 1 hour plus a day. I had it down years ago but had not played it in long time. I now can manage it low and high and in-between. I have even took to doing it chord melody.

My question is that I was trying to play along with Clifford Brown's version and to get it right on the money and phrasing is actually pretty hard. Once in a while I make it but usually I get sloppy somewhere or just not right on the money. Depending on the tempo it can be ok or very difficult. I can solo on the tune on the Brown recording not fast as such but getting the phrasing on the head in unison is a taskmaster. I found a recording of Larry Coryell and Emily Remler that I had heard long ago but frankly they take it too fast for me to get right on the money.

I guess my chops cannot cut it...........anyone else struggling?

User Info Menu

Hey Deacon,

Staying true to form, I got a bunch of helpful advice on correcting how I play summertime, so I spent the day learning Blue Bossa by ear.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Well the DB got me going on Joy Spring with his stuff he put up. For the past 2 weeks I have been woodshedding on the tune about an 1 hour plus a day. I had it down years ago but had not played it in long time. I now can manage it low and high and in-between. I have even took to doing it chord melody.

My question is that I was trying to play along with Clifford Brown's version and to get it right on the money and phrasing is actually pretty hard. Once in a while I make it but usually I get sloppy somewhere or just not right on the money. Depending on the tempo it can be ok or very difficult. I can solo on the tune on the Brown recording not fast as such but getting the phrasing on the head in unison is a taskmaster. I found a recording of Larry Coryell and Emily Remler that I had heard long ago but frankly they take it too fast for me to get right on the money.

I guess my chops cannot cut it...........anyone else struggling?

I have never understood this obsession with playing a tune exactly as someone else did on a recording. In all likelihood the original artist would neither choose nor be able to play it exactly the same way again. I guess I have a different understanding of what it means to play jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I have never understood this obsession with playing a tune exactly as someone else did on a recording. In all likelihood the original artist would neither choose nor be able to play it exactly the same way again. I guess I have a different understanding of what it means to play jazz.
    You're confused, studying jazz is different than playing jazz.

User Info Menu

If Monk is boppin' enough for you, try Well You Needn't, Ryth'ning, Bemsha Swing, and maybe I Mean You. All sit well on guitar. And elsewhere there's Mr. PC, and The Blues Walk.

User Info Menu

fast comes after slow

I want to HEAR it first..is it 5 or 6 notes in bar one?

is there "anticipation" implied .. on the upbeat or downbeat..

can i sing it..(scat that is)

is it a series of phrases..connect the first two

what is the most economical fingering that will get the feel of the phrase

yeah I watch vids of Bill Evans during an interview..and he is talking about a tune .. and then he plays part of it..and then you realize

he knows every bar of the tune and can play it from any bar