The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14
    Dutchbopper Guest
    I have embarked on a journey to get some more bop tunes under my fingers and upload the results as vids (you may have seen “Boplicity” and “Line for Lyons”) and right now “Relaxing at Camarillo” is under way. I was working on the Joe Pass head but I found out that Joe does not play the head as Charlie Parker. He has changed several notes in the melody. Why did he do that? For practical reasons? The Parker version lies just a tad more difficult on guitar but surely that was no issue for Joe. I am not referring to Joe playing in the lower register, I really mean different note choices here ….

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Joe recorded that tune at least twice; once on Joy Spring and once on Appassionato. They struck me as very different interpretations of the tune; maybe the latter was closer to the Charlie Parker version? I don't know.

User Info Menu

I've transcribed all tunes from Joy Spring few years ago.Great CD of Joe Pass/exelent sound/.
    I have to look for it in the archives.
    As far as I remember, there were probably over 12 solo choruses of 'Relaxing in Camarillo'.Head-Joe play different notes...
    Mine of musical information.
    Jazzingly
    Kris

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I've transcribed all tunes from Joy Spring few years ago.Great CD of Joe Pass/exelent sound/.
    I have to look for it in the archives.
    As far as I remember, there were probably over 12 solo choruses of 'Relaxing in Camarillo'.Head-Joe play different notes...
    Mine of musical information.
    Jazzingly
    Kris
    This is what Parker plays. I have indicated the measures where I think Joe Pass plays different notes. Could you ckeck this? Thanks.

DB

Relaxing at Camarillo-charlie-parker-relaxin-camarillo-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    This is what Parker plays. I have indicated the measures where I think Joe Pass plays different notes. Could you ckeck this? Thanks.

DB

Relaxing at Camarillo-charlie-parker-relaxin-camarillo-jpg
    I found head...

User Info Menu

Different bar nr 4 and bar 6.

Attachment 85293

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Different bar nr 4 and bar 6.

Attachment 85293
    Yes, that's what I heard too. Wonder why he changed that! Thanks.

DB

User Info Menu

Could be he was just playing it from memory and some changes crept in?

Somehow I don’t see Joe Pass as the kind of guy who would worry about needing a lead sheet for any tune in the universe!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Could be he was just playing it from memory and some changes crept in?

Somehow I don’t see Joe Pass as the kind of guy who would worry about needing a lead sheet for any tune in the universe!
    Yes, that is possible. The head on the first chorus is played unisono with the bass player so Joe must have taught him his version too.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I first learned of / heard RaC via HR's version.......not sure his version exactly matches CP's, or that this transcription is correct....Just hoping it helps....and this transcription process / method/ / tool is an eye-opener to the barely 'stone age level' music reader I am......

Glad you're doing this tune DB and look forward to hearing it !

Dennis

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I first learned of / heard RaC via HR's version.......not sure his version exactly matches CP's, or that this transcription is correct....Just hoping it helps....and this transcription process / method/ / tool is an eye-opener to the barely 'stone age level' music reader I am......

Glad you're doing this tune DB and look forward to hearing it !

Dennis
    This one is slightly closer to Bird's version but, again, a few notes have been altered. But a fantastic version for sure! What a great solo. Thanks!

DB

User Info Menu

This one is slightly closer to Bird's version but, again, a few notes have been altered. But a fantastic version for sure! What a great solo. Thanks!

DB
    I'm betting you'll have fun with that !! Hope so !

PS

What is that transcription program and is there an explanation of it somewhere ? TIA......

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    I'm betting you'll have fun with that !! Hope so !

PS

What is that transcription program and is there an explanation of it somewhere ? TIA......
    I don't know what program for transcription was used in the vid. I do not use software like that myself ... Sorry.

DB

User Info Menu

I don't know what program for transcription was used in the vid. I do not use software like that myself ... Sorry.

DB
    Thanks DB - -and nice playing too !!