The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    I like this.
    So do I.

User Info Menu

Love the tune, the singer, and the guitar. Some of the best ever. Didn’t love the percussion track, tbh. Missed the Hammond. And I do wish the kids these days would come up with their own tunes. Where has creativity gone?

User Info Menu

No.

User Info Menu

Not for me. The original is far better. Better recorded too. Everything is so clean here, you just know the singing was done at a different time, headphones on, in a booth. It might work in a live gig, but this just sounds too clinical. The original was a brilliant mess, wonderful!

User Info Menu

The line and a lick thing is really annoying: Winwood sings, Santana plays, Winwood sings, Santana plays, and so on and on.

User Info Menu

Conflicted on this one...the original is complete magic, in my opinion, so I came in with low expectations...

Winwood sounds great. I'm pretty sure when I first heard the original, as a kid, I thought it WAS Winwood, as my dad was a huge SW fan and his music was always playing around the house. The drum machine and slight latin percussion during the quiet parts remind me a bit of "Arc of a Diver" era Winwood, which I love...but the formula of Santana playing little lead bits in between vocal phrases is getting TIRED. It's been tired for like 20 years.

The chorus sucks. The percussion overwhelms, and I dearly miss the organ and vocals hitting the red like they do on the original. Lame.

During the chorus I was like, "It'd be cool if Santana doubled the organ melody." And then he did. I liked that too.

Overall, it just made me want to listen to the original, and I'll probably put on "Arc of a Diver" later today too.

User Info Menu

I like it, as I said above. Does it compare with the original? Absolutely not. Agree about the intrusive percussion track and clinical sound. Would have been better if SW had played a Hammond his way. But it's a great song. Sometimes it's the song, not the singer.

User Info Menu

Santana is great on Santana stuff..I was hoping for a more mellow approach from him on this outing

Winwood voice is timeless..sounds strong and sure .. long way from Give me some lovin...what.. he was 16/17 ?

and today....

User Info Menu

I like pretty much all of it except the finger snaps. I'd prefer a sidestick.

As far as Santana filling in between the vocal phrases, okay it's a Santana collaboration. Winwood does sound great and yes it's a great song.

User Info Menu

Underrated YT comment on that 2020 Gimme Some Lovin recording: Don't know what's more remarkable; Being able to sing like that at 72 or being able to sing like that at 18 (17?).

Anyway, best thing is to just leave it all up to Mr Winwood (+ a few decent backup guys). No rock guitar clichés and no flash here because he is the source, playing just the right notes for the song.

User Info Menu

Compared to much of today's music...this is very cool. So what that it's a cover tune.

Glad Winwood is still sharing his many gifts.

And Carlos...well...he's still Carlos. Mr. call and return. And that ain't a bad thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Conflicted on this one...the original is complete magic, in my opinion, so I came in with low expectations...

Winwood sounds great. I'm pretty sure when I first heard the original, as a kid, I thought it WAS Winwood, as my dad was a huge SW fan and his music was always playing around the house. The drum machine and slight latin percussion during the quiet parts remind me a bit of "Arc of a Diver" era Winwood, which I love...but the formula of Santana playing little lead bits in between vocal phrases is getting TIRED. It's been tired for like 20 years.

The chorus sucks. The percussion overwhelms, and I dearly miss the organ and vocals hitting the red like they do on the original. Lame.

During the chorus I was like, "It'd be cool if Santana doubled the organ melody." And then he did. I liked that too.

Overall, it just made me want to listen to the original, and I'll probably put on "Arc of a Diver" later today too.
    Could not agree more Jeff. Gary ( Brooker ) lives quite near here in our part of France for a good chunk of the year and we have heard him play the original many times including for a charity gig we co-organized for the first disaster in Haiti and at a macro level at a house party. Eerie. One man and a piano. The voice has not changed one bit. Love Winwood btw, even if difficult to unscramble the lyrics at times!

David

User Info Menu

I’m kind of meh on this one. Decent, but not great.

I think of this as a Santana cover. The most successful covers like Black Magic Woman, She’s Not There, Well Alright and Dealer are where the band injects a new energy and rhythm into the original. This one is too formulaic IMO. (Dealer was written by Winwood and Jim Capaldi, btw. The original was good, but the Santana version is off the charts great.)

Santana also did possibly the worst version of Riders on the Storm ever recorded a couple of years ago. Sometimes he just gets out lazy.

Saw Stevie with Eric Clapton a few years ago. He is at least as good a guitarist as a keyboardist. But his singing is on another level. Also saw Santana a year or 2 later. He knows how to get it done most of the time.