The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Not sure
    I had a guitar teacher who gave me a lot of photocopied sheets, which I practised to varying degrees.
    (he gave me so much material that I usually just practised whatever I felt most like for practising, but I definitely did spend time practising).

It was then later that I understood the concept of jazz standard, and realized some of these sheets I had were jazz standards.

I remember Road Song (by Wes) was a sheet I got quite early on, and one that I really liked. It was some kind of a breaking point that got me interested in jazz.
    My teacher showed me how to improvise with one pentatonic scale for the A section and then shift to a different penetatonic scale for the B section. I thought that was really cool and liked how it sounded.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

All of Me, next was Autumn Leaves.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

All the things you are.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesR
    All the things you are.
    I'm curious how that came about. E.g. that is the first jazz standard a guitar teacher showed you?

My first few songs were Blue Bossa and Autumn Leaves: why? After these were showed to me by my first guitar teacher I purchased the Jamey Aebersold Maidan Voyage which had these two songs and a lot of other fair "basic" songs like Satan Doll.

User Info Menu

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Blue Bossa

closely followed by St Thomas, which I was required to play for a gig. I struggled with it in hindsight, but damn that groove.

User Info Menu

This was the first tune i was given to learn (but not this version ).

DG

User Info Menu

Specifically this version of Don't Get Around Much Anymore.

User Info Menu

I think the first one I learned was Moonglow
    It's hard to remember that far back

User Info Menu

I don't remember. Possibly Summertime and/or Georgia and/or Sunny Side Of The Street and/or The Nearness Of You, etc, etc, but I honestly don't know. It wasn't Giant Steps, I can tell you that.

It might even have been Fly Me To The Moon but I wouldn't have persisted with it because I thought it was boring. Still do.

User Info Menu

On Green Dolphin Street

User Info Menu

Satin Doll, regarding when sunny gets blue mentioned by Wolflen, i learned that tune a couple of years ago per request , now when i am out somewhere playing, the most luscious women come up to tell me they love that song, is it a secret weapon tune ? I used to call certain pop tunes humidifiers due to their effects on a segment of the population.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch
    Satin Doll, regarding when sunny gets blue mentioned by Wolflen, i learned that tune a couple of years ago per request , now when i am out somewhere playing, the most luscious women come up to tell me they love that song, is it a secret weapon tune ? I used to call certain pop tunes humidifiers due to their effects on a segment of the population.
    Playing a song Johnny Mathis made famous can have that effect.

User Info Menu

Softly as in a Morning Sunrise

User Info Menu

Take Five. I had originally learned it in high school on trumpet.

Believe it or not, the first chord-melody jazz tune I learned on guitar was "Goodbye Porkpie Hat". I had already been playing guitar a long time by then, but not jazz.

User Info Menu

It Could Happen To You, Misty and Girl From Ipanema, more or less simultaneously, leading me to the realization that there are only a few chord progressions that are the bases for most standards, and that modulations are also somewhat standardized, although Ipanema does depart from that with its very creative bridge. Anyway, working on those 3 gave me the ability to learn many more tunes is a very short time, sometimes by the 2nd chorus during the gig. Later on, jazz standards became much less standardized with the writing of Shorter, Metheny, etc.

User Info Menu

Blue Bossa

User Info Menu

Embraceable You.
    Introduced to me at Berklee by the Les Harris, a WWII vet with such a great view of life and music. A kind and classy guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    Embraceable You.
    Introduced to me at Berklee by the Les Harris, a WWII vet with such a great view of life and music. A kind and classy guy.
    Now that's the way to go!

User Info Menu

How High The Moon. Satin Doll. Since I Fell For You. mickmac