The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I guess I have heard Herb Ellis play is numerous times and never gave it a thought. I don't call it a standard as such it is not obscure but not played much. Well the Dutch Bopper post a video of himself playing this and I decided to look it up and learn the tune. It makes a great chord melody and I have added it to the play list. Lost of nice movement and generally not hard to learn. All these years and still finding tunes I should have played long ago more.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I guess I have heard Herb Ellis play is numerous times and never gave it a thought. I don't call it a standard as such it is not obscure but not played much. Well the Dutch Bopper post a video of himself playing this and I decided to look it up and learn the tune. It makes a great chord melody and I have added it to the play list. Lost of nice movement and generally not hard to learn. All these years and still finding tunes I should have played long ago more.
    And this Wednesday (8/4/2021) is Herb’s 100th birthday!

User Info Menu

A few versions of Herb playing the tune. We'll start with Ella singing it (to Herb's accompaniment), as that really fixes the melody in one's mind.

User Info Menu

Bill Evans kinda made it a standard. That's how I learned it long before I even knew who Herb Ellis was. He played it at the historic run at the Vanguard

User Info Menu

Interesting that Herb plays it in Db, while Bill Evans plays it in C and that's the version I
    heard first like many other players.
    The only lead sheet I've come across in in one of the Sher New Real Book series and it's in C too.
    On a search of YouTube I found one clip of Herb playing Detour Ahead in C, I wonder how he first
    conceived it.
    As said earlier it makes a wonderful vehicle for chord/melody on guitar.
    I've done an arrangement of it that I love playing ....it's in C

I have it in C and it makes for better chord melody can use the open E and A strings for some pedal tones. Just a very melodic tune that lays well on the guitar. Not done enough for sure.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    It's known and loved by singers: Billie recorded it and pianist Chris Anderson sang it on his Love Locked Out solo CD.

Also instrumentally: Bill Evans made it popular; Ralph Lalama plays it. I'm sure Art Farmer played it at some point.

So, yes, it's not obscure...