The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Our standard for Aug 2021 will be Polka Dots & Moonbeams (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke, 1940).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (Polka Dots and Moonbeams)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ah! Did a chord melody on that one:

I did write it out in Musescore, with tabs, for anyone interested:

Polka Dots And Moonbeams Sheet music for Guitar (Solo) | Download and print in PDF or MIDI free sheet music for Polka Dots and Moonbeams by Jimmy Van Heusen | Musescore.com

But I guess the goal here is to improvise over the chords? I have no video of that, I see if I can get to it.

User Info Menu

You don't hear Joe Pass much with a full orchestra, and this is Hamburg so it's lush, but not schmaltzy. His guitar tone is gorgeous as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Ah! Did a chord melody on that one:

I did write it out in Musescore, with tabs, for anyone interested:

Polka Dots And Moonbeams Sheet music for Guitar (Solo) | Download and print in PDF or MIDI free sheet music for Polka Dots and Moonbeams by Jimmy Van Heusen | Musescore.com

But I guess the goal here is to improvise over the chords? I have no video of that, I see if I can get to it.
    Very nice take.Great sounding guitar and great playing.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Such a lovely song - and very nice interpretations! I model my own chord solo arrangement (in F) on Wes' version from, "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery." (I don't have any viable way to record it right now, but I'm working on rectifying that.)

User Info Menu

I'm going to put all these standards thread tunes in a hard key so that way I get more used to them. Basically the keys that aren't in the real book. Gb, B, E, A, and D. Practicing Polkadots and Moonbeams (and other stuff) in Gb right now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    I'm going to put all these standards thread tunes in a hard key so that way I get more used to them. Basically the keys that aren't in the real book. Gb, B, E, A, and D. Practicing Polkadots and Moonbeams (and other stuff) in Gb right now.
    If you know it already in F or G, then Gb is easy of course. It would be much harder in Bb or C.

User Info Menu

I'm focusing on Hammond so transposing the tune a half step changes the fingerings a lot when it would be about the same for guitar. Basically, the sharp side keys are the ones that still feel awkward for me, A, B, D, E, Gb, so I'm going to spend a lot of time playing in them.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 08-04-2021 at 02:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    I'm focusing on Hammond so transposing the tune a half step changes the fingerings a lot when it would be about the same for guitar. Basically, the sharp side keys are the ones that still feel awkward for me, A, B, D, E, Gb, so I'm going to spend a lot of time playing in them.
    Ah! Yes, on a keyboard it’s a whole different story…..

User Info Menu

yeah I was wondering why he thought E was a hard key for guitar!

User Info Menu

I made a video on my own arrangement a while back. Hope it's ok to post an old video?

User Info Menu

For those seeking a more demanding key, how about this one in Eb ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplrfla
    For those seeking a more demanding key, how about this one in Eb ?

Correction : in F . My apologies

User Info Menu

That was me six years ago... i'll do an updated one ASAP... hopefully i've gotten better since then.
    Pretty sure that was in F, too.
    Last edited by dogletnoir; 08-15-2021 at 06:22 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Good job everyone. Polka Dots in Gb at 62 bpm.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the contributions this month.
    My effort on Ibanez Artcore (AF-75)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Thanks for the contributions this month.
    My effort on Ibanez Artcore (AF-75)
    Nice! Love the sound of that guitar!

User Info Menu

Well, I've bashed this around for a month, so it's time to see what I've got.

Played this one solo, and no improv, just melody.

User Info Menu

Here is my somewhat contrapuntal rendition

all the best
    Tim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch

all the best
    Tim
    Wow! Thanks Tim! Beautiful as always!
    Great to "see" you on Practical Standards.

/Hans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TLerch

all the best
    Tim
    Very nice! And very contrapuntal indeed!

User Info Menu

Hi, I appreciate the fact that you created the MuseScore version for PD&M but it is no longer listed. I assume this is because you included the melody, which makes it a Copyright violation.
    thanks for trying.
    Mark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mere
    Hi, I appreciate the fact that you created the MuseScore version for PD&M but it is no longer listed. I assume this is because you included the melody, which makes it a Copyright violation.
    thanks for trying.
    Mark
    If you are referring to my MuseScore sheet: yes, they made it private because of copyright violation…… :-(