Jazz Guitar
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

Real Book 'Fifth Edition'

Hello everyone!!!

This is my first post so i'll try not to be too long winded (first impressions!).

I was talking to my teacher the other day and he said the only Real Book to get is the 'Fifth Edition' one. For some or other reason there are more tunes in it or something like that (500 pages VS 300 pages). When I went to my local music store there were plenty of 'Sixth Edition' books, but none of the 'Fifth'. After asking them if they could order it in they said that they couldn't find it and that it is probably no longer available. Does anybody know where I can find a copy of this 'Fifth Edition' Real Book?

Thankyou!!!
    Last edited by Tal Farlow; 03-15-2008 at 07:20 PM.

2. # ADS
    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Check out Ebay....there are a few there.

you could go hunting for a fifth edition...or...

pick up the sixth edition. there's nothing wrong with it, it's the one to have, and it's readily available. 461 pages, most pages are 1 tune. you sound like a beginner...400+ tunes outta keep you busy for a while

volume 2 and 3 are in their second edition. IMHO, volume 2 is a must, 3 not as much, but there's still some great tunes in there. If you can afford it, get all three. these are the ones published by hal leonard. volume 1 (just called "sixth edition" )has a yellowish cover, vol2. is salmon colored, volume three is grey. check amazon.

not to come off as crude, but your teacher sounds like an ass--putting you on a chase for a book when there's great resources right under your nose.

Or, you can go online and order them all in pdf format on cd. It comes with all the versions. Since they are all basically in violation of copyright law, with the exception of the Sher series, getting them on disc is probably the easiest way to go.

Real Book - Jazz Real Book - Fake Book

Quote Originally Posted by derek View Post
    Or, you can go online and order them all in pdf format on cd. It comes with all the versions. Since they are all basically in violation of copyright law, with the exception of the Sher series, getting them on disc is probably the easiest way to go.

Real Book - Jazz Real Book - Fake Book
    What?

I thought they were published by Hal Leonard

Anyway, I'll take mr. beaumont's advice and get the Sixth, as 400 tunes does sound like enough!

Thanks!!

No, they are all highly illegal, blatant copywrite violations, with the exception of the Sher books. Chuck paid royalties, the others have not. That is why a reputable publisher like Hal Leonard, Alfred or Mel Bay DO NOT publish these.

Oh wow!

After a quick look at Wikipedia I now see what you mean...

It seems that the Sixth Edition is a Copyrighted book, designed to end Five Editions of non-royalty paying books!!!

No wonder I couldn't order it anywhere

I'll stick with Number Six

Thanks heaps!

MMM I also want that 5th edition. The chords in the 6th edition are appauling.

real books are a guide, a starting point, a template. nobody plays 'em as written all the time.

i think the chords in the sixth ed. are at least "correct" most of the time--maybe not the tastiest, but "correct." but part of being a jazz musician is knowing how to use your ears and sub in those tastier extensions and substitutions.

the legal real book is a great starting point, and a lot better than a lot of other fakebooks i've amassed over the years.

The absoulte WORST real book I ever saw (or owned ) is that one by Herb Wong. The Ultimate Jazz Fake Book. Steer Clear of that puppy

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    i think the chords in the sixth ed. are at least "correct" most of the time--maybe not the tastiest, but "correct." but part of being a jazz musician is knowing how to use your ears and sub in those tastier extensions and substitutions.
    Agree 100%.

Well it's not just the fact some of the chords are wrong in the 6th edition... it's the fact it puts to many extensions on the chords on simple standards. If I was a beginner and started looking at Blue Bossa I'd much rather see a cm7 than a cm11 or something... even now I like extension substitutes to be my own choice.

5th edition is what you'll find on the gig. Illegal, but only used by pros. Get it if you can find it.

I have the older ones...(I & II)...cause I'm older...by all means get the 5th..and get book II..lots of bop man..

enough here for all of us...

also in your browser window type.." 100 jazz tunes to know"...

and a funny thing..as someone above said...they are a guide....

everyone has an arrangement for each tune in the books...yes...learn the head as written then add your interpritation...then its you and not the same as on the cd...or something like that..

time on the instrument..pierre

Real

Just bought Real Book 6th edition...love it. Missing a few classics but oh well...

Sailor

i inhearited a 5th edition from my uncle, it's simpler than the 6th edition (less chords and extentions) none of my students have one, they all have the 6th edition. I just mark the added changes in the tunes we work on and leave it up to them to play them or not.

Fifth Edition PDF

With a bit of clever Google searching, you could find the ~50MB RAR file containing a PDF of the Fifth Edition. Hint: "Berklee" is in the filename.

But I think most cats use the Sixth Edition nowadays.

When the original Real Book came out, there was only one.

Now, there are multiple editions with different tunes, different arrangements and, often, different changes.

So, at a session where people are reading, it used to be that everybody would be looking at the same chart. Nowadays, every tune is a new discussion. Different paper versions and some players with tablets with every possible version. The paper guys are comparing books while the tablet guys are scrolling and complaining about the interface.

If you play with the same people regularly, it would be great for everybody to have the same charts, somehow.

And, yes, the people I play with know the usual standards. Nobody wants to play anything that familiar. So, we read.

22:30

Thanks for that post.Very interesting.

Thanks for the 'Sixth' suggestion. Found a used print version online.

Is the "557 Jazz Standards Swing to Bop" one of the versions, or is it its own thing? When and where did it come from?
    "Bent my ear to hear the tune and closed my eyes to see."

That’s completely separate I believe, I think someone said it was produced by someone in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post
    Is the "557 Jazz Standards Swing to Bop" one of the versions, or is it its own thing? When and where did it come from?
    I think it's an independent effort. Lots of these songbooks are local or personal projects. I have a facebook with about 500 tunes in it that was assembled by a local guy, a pianist, who anchored lots of local jam sessions for years and just developed his own collection of head arrangements/lead sheets. Many involve extensive corrections of the Real Book, or variants on the tunes.

I think being a jazz player involves being something of a connoisseur of fake books.
    - Lawson
    "Whenever you come near the human race, there's layers and layers of nonsense." - Thornton Wilder, Our Town

Join our Facebook Page

Get in Touch

Jazz Guitar eBooks
How To Get a Jazz Guitar Tone?
Privacy Policy

Follow us on:

Jazz Guitar Online on FacebookJazz Guitar Online on TwitterJazz Guitar Online on YoutubeJazz Guitar Online RSS Feed