The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Hello everyone!!!

This is my first post so i'll try not to be too long winded (first impressions!).

I was talking to my teacher the other day and he said the only Real Book to get is the 'Fifth Edition' one. For some or other reason there are more tunes in it or something like that (500 pages VS 300 pages). When I went to my local music store there were plenty of 'Sixth Edition' books, but none of the 'Fifth'. After asking them if they could order it in they said that they couldn't find it and that it is probably no longer available. Does anybody know where I can find a copy of this 'Fifth Edition' Real Book?

Thankyou!!!
    Last edited by Tal Farlow; 03-15-2008 at 07:20 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Check out Ebay....there are a few there.

User Info Menu

you could go hunting for a fifth edition...or...

pick up the sixth edition. there's nothing wrong with it, it's the one to have, and it's readily available. 461 pages, most pages are 1 tune. you sound like a beginner...400+ tunes outta keep you busy for a while

volume 2 and 3 are in their second edition. IMHO, volume 2 is a must, 3 not as much, but there's still some great tunes in there. If you can afford it, get all three. these are the ones published by hal leonard. volume 1 (just called "sixth edition" )has a yellowish cover, vol2. is salmon colored, volume three is grey. check amazon.

not to come off as crude, but your teacher sounds like an ass--putting you on a chase for a book when there's great resources right under your nose.

User Info Menu

MMM I also want that 5th edition. The chords in the 6th edition are appauling.

User Info Menu

real books are a guide, a starting point, a template. nobody plays 'em as written all the time.

i think the chords in the sixth ed. are at least "correct" most of the time--maybe not the tastiest, but "correct." but part of being a jazz musician is knowing how to use your ears and sub in those tastier extensions and substitutions.

the legal real book is a great starting point, and a lot better than a lot of other fakebooks i've amassed over the years.

User Info Menu

The absoulte WORST real book I ever saw (or owned ) is that one by Herb Wong. The Ultimate Jazz Fake Book. Steer Clear of that puppy

User Info Menu

Well it's not just the fact some of the chords are wrong in the 6th edition... it's the fact it puts to many extensions on the chords on simple standards. If I was a beginner and started looking at Blue Bossa I'd much rather see a cm7 than a cm11 or something... even now I like extension substitutes to be my own choice.

User Info Menu

5th edition is what you'll find on the gig. Illegal, but only used by pros. Get it if you can find it.

User Info Menu

I have the older ones...(I & II)...cause I'm older...by all means get the 5th..and get book II..lots of bop man..

enough here for all of us...

also in your browser window type.." 100 jazz tunes to know"...

and a funny thing..as someone above said...they are a guide....

everyone has an arrangement for each tune in the books...yes...learn the head as written then add your interpritation...then its you and not the same as on the cd...or something like that..

time on the instrument..pierre

User Info Menu

Just bought Real Book 6th edition...love it. Missing a few classics but oh well...

Sailor

User Info Menu

i inhearited a 5th edition from my uncle, it's simpler than the 6th edition (less chords and extentions) none of my students have one, they all have the 6th edition. I just mark the added changes in the tunes we work on and leave it up to them to play them or not.

User Info Menu

Hi, thanks for looking. Question for folks who have been using the 5th edition for a decade (or more!!!). Going to print out an extra copy and have it bound etc. Anyway, I was going to include some of the tunes that are not included in that edition. So here is the questions.

What common tunes are NOT included in the 5th edition of the realbook?

List of missing tunes (I will update as they are added)

Perdido
    Aint Misbehaving
    Honeysuckle Rose
    Lulu's Back in Town
    Yardbird Suite
    You Would Be So Nice To Come Home To
    I'm Getting Sentimental Over You
    Caravan
    Cheek to Cheek
    Someone to Watch Over Me
    Sweet Lorraine
    Georgia
    Blue Moon
    Star Eyes
    I've Never Been In Love
    Last edited by vintagelove; 11-15-2014 at 11:51 AM.

User Info Menu

They did have several books called The Other Real Book and The Real Book Volume 2, and 3. They're full of tunes that aren't in the book. Two tunes I'd wished they had are I Remember You and Bewitched. But actually there're dozens more and it just depends on what tunes you like I guess. How Long Has This Been Going On? Lots of Ellington tunes. I guess it's kind of silly to try to think of them all, that's why they made those other books. What's common after all? Long Ago and Far Away... How Deep Is The Ocean? Christmas Song...

David

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    They did have several books called The Other Real Book and The Real Book Volume 2, and 3. They're full of tunes that aren't in the book. Two tunes I'd wished they had are I Remember You and Bewitched. But actually there're dozens more and it just depends on what tunes you like I guess. How Long Has This Been Going On? Lots of Ellington tunes. I guess it's kind of silly to try to think of them all, that's why they made those other books. What's common after all? Long Ago and Far Away... How Deep Is The Ocean? Christmas Song...

David

Hi, I am not sure if you caught it (maybe you did), I was referring to the 5th edition which you can't get anymore. I don't want to carry 3 books around. I was just hoping some folks who have played with this book for years could chime in with some tunes that got called (more that once in 10 years) that weren't in the book.

For instance, Perdido is a pretty well known tune that isn't included. I was hoping for tunes like that.

Thanks

User Info Menu

I'm Getting Sentimental Over You

User Info Menu

Caravan

User Info Menu

Are Alone Together, Days Of Wine And Roses and On Green Dolphin Street in there? They are missing in the 6th edition.....

User Info Menu

I carry my iPad with iGigbook in my guitar bag. I imported all the Real and Fake books and some more in it..... (The RealBook of Christmas Songs for example.) Oh and I also have the iReal book on it, even more songs (but only chord charts, no melodies)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Hi, I am not sure if you caught it (maybe you did), I was referring to the 5th edition which you can't get anymore.

Thanks
    Yeah, that's the one I've got. Missing the cover, full of page inserts and water stains. There were those pages in the back that had tunes that weren't in there originally...I guess it's an ongoing project. And some of the tunes are just WRONG. (Four?! Desafinado...) But that's what made it so charming. Latter editions had pages of corrections and you might want to use that feature too.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Are Alone Together, Days Of Wine And Roses and On Green Dolphin Street in there? They are missing in the 6th edition.....
    They're in the 5th and 6th that I have anyway...

I don't think Cheek to Cheek is in there. Someone to Watch Over Me. Sweet Lorraine. Georgia. Blue Moon. Star Eyes. I've Never Been In Love.
    Is this what you're looking for?
    David

User Info Menu

As an aside, the melody and/or chord progression don't always agree between the Real Book 5th and 6th. They've made some corrections/changes for the 6th edition.

It's getting confusing, now people will ask, which edition are you looking at?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay

Those are in the 5th edition, thanks anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    As an aside, the melody and/or chord progression don't always agree between the Real Book 5th and 6th. They've made some corrections/changes for the 6th edition.

It's getting confusing, now people will ask, which edition are you looking at?
    People have been arguing over the changes in the Real Book since they came out, doubt they'll ever stop.

User Info Menu

There are no right changes, only wrong ones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    There are no right changes, only wrong ones.
    or as Monk would say.... You're making the wrong mistakes.

User Info Menu

I am gonna give this one more try before I print. Thanks for the input so far!!!