The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hello everyone. I have perhaps a newbie question, since I've never tried this before.

I have the Coltrane Plays Standards book and I want to transpose his tenor sax sheet music for "My One and Only Love" to guitar sheet music. Is there an easy way to do this or do I just need to transpose the music note per note as per this website: Saxophone Transposition chart and transposing information I'll be using Guitar Pro 7.5 in case that makes a difference.

Thank you in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just learn it in a new key. Play the music as if it's written in concert.

User Info Menu

Use Guitar Pro and start to play in slow tempo...

User Info Menu

Guitar Pro is some kind of notation software presumably? In which case you should be able to type in the Coltrane chart exactly as it is shown in the book (i.e. in the saxophone key), then it should be possible to transpose the whole score in Guitar Pro to any other key you like, with just one command. I would be surprised if any notation software can’t do that.

Tenor sax is a Bb instrument. This means that their music is written a whole tone up. So I think you will need to transpose the key down by 2 semitones to put it into the equivalent guitar key.

User Info Menu

Band in the Box is also great for practising any solos in any key.
    You can write any jazz solo/sax,tp,/ from the book to BB and BB can easy transpose to guitar key...or to another key you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    Just learn it in a new key. Play the music as if it's written in concert.
    This is the correct attitude for a guitar player. Learn it in the wrong key then transpose once memorized. I always found transposing on the instrument easier than transposing on paper.

User Info Menu

Simple. Transpose one step up for Tenor. Bb-C/C-D/E/F, etc.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

The OP is going the opposite way, i.e. he wants to convert a tenor sax chart to guitar notation. So he needs to transpose the music down a whole step, not up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The OP is going the opposite way, i.e. he wants to convert a tenor sax chart to guitar notation. So he needs to transpose the music down a whole step, not up.
    Hi, G,
    If the chart is written in Concert Bb, the Saxer needs to play up a step in C. If its a tenor sheet, he needs to go down for concert key. However, the OP did not make it clear if the charts were in concert key or Bb and neither should be assumed based on volumes of sax music I've purchased over the years. This should be completely clear now for the OP.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, G,
    If the chart is written in Concert Bb, the Saxer needs to play up a step in C. If its a tenor sheet, he needs to go down for concert key. However, the OP did not make it clear if the charts were in concert key or Bb and neither should be assumed based on volumes of sax music I've purchased over the years. This should be completely clear now for the OP.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    On the contrary, I should think he is thoroughly confused by now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Simple. Transpose one step up for Tenor. Bb-C/C-D/E/F, etc.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    E/F...no Eb/F yes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    E/F...no Eb/F yes

Yes, K,
    Eb/F . . .E/F# .. . O. K, G . . . You're next and the OP will finally be sorry he even posted! . . .
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. And, I promise . . . I cannot blame it on Stolichnaya! M

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses!

I was able to figure it out (tenor sax is who whole step up from guitar), but I believe learning the tune is most important first. So I learned that melody line and am practicing that, along with some Coltrane licks I transposed. However, we didn't even play the tune during out Jam on Sunday, June 13th because we ran out of time. However, I will keep practicing and learning nonetheless because I keep taking something from each thing I learn!

Thanks again everyone!

User Info Menu

I have this. Recommended.

Sorry! Something went wrong!