User Info Menu

2 heads and 1 chorus on this 15 bar form. Probably not the best place to start for a beginner like me lol, solo part took a bit of memorizing lead tones over those chord changes before hand.

To what extent do you memorize your solos before performing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nicely done, raal.

User Info Menu

Dang, that was fun!

Bass playing sounds excellent. Wouldn't have minded hearing a little more aggressive tone on the guitar, but that's just my personal preference for music like this...This is one of the funkiest tunes in music history, in my opinion, and a damn tough one, and you did a great job with it.

Re: memorizing solos...I try to never, as it doesn't feel like jazz to me then...but this tune? I'd have to at least work some stuff out ahead of time. There's so much to keep track of with the little breaks and unison lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Nicely done, raal.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Wouldn't have minded hearing a little more aggressive tone on the guitar, but that's just my personal preference for music like this...

Re: memorizing solos...I try to never, as it doesn't feel like jazz to me then...but this tune? I'd have to at least work some stuff out ahead of time. There's so much to keep track of with the little breaks and unison lines!
    Thanks for the thoughtful comments. Regarding tone, were you thinking along the lines of some OD, or solid body all the way?

You're right, probably not the best tune to learn to improvise, lol! With the modal changes, ended up memorizing scales for each of the chords individually. But the mix of groove and modal is what makes that tune so great IMO.