The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Has anyone else besides me noticed the similarities in melody of "Darn That Dream" and "Good Morning Heartache?" The internet radio station I listen to most of the day plays DTD regularly throughout the day. So, finally, I decided to look it up:
    Darn that Dream 1939/Jimmy Van Heusen
    Good Morning Heartache 1946/Higginbothan; Drake; Fisher

Here's Lady Day singing both songs:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, things used to be like that.

User Info Menu

I think originally the two tunes has different mood, character and different message. (I mean different musical sentences, with different meaning, in the same language) It would the performers chance to find this, and also add something from her/his artistic concept. Originally neither melody neither progression are no more common than many of other tunes. I mean II V I or chromatism, etc.

however...

Maybe what we indeed sense here as similarity, is the performance. Billie has her trademark interpretation concept, and this makes (sadly) similar two things what could be sparkly unique and interesting in their own right, being similar in their style.
    Last edited by Gabor; 05-03-2021 at 01:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    I think originally the two tunes has different mood, character and different message. (I mean different musical sentences, with different meaning, in the same language) It would the performers chance to find this, and also add something from her/his artistic concept. Originally neither melody neither progression are no more common than many of other tunes. I mean II V I or chromatism, etc.

however...

Maybe what we indeed sense here as similarity, is the performance. Billie has her trademark interpretation concept, and this makes (sadly) similar two things what could be sparkly unique and interesting in their own right, being similar in their style.
    Hi, G,
    Thanks for your response. I'm not referring to the commonality of the progression but rather the very similar melody. Many songs have common progressions but differing melodies. And, I don't think it's just Billie. Here's Sarah Vaughan with the Count. Very different styles. What do you think? Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

You are right, the ending of A part has similar melody and mood, btw for me that is the only interesting part in Good Morning Heartache. Darn That Dream, which is one of my favourite standard has very exciting beginning, and keeps interest during the tune. It is true, I totally can not feel it in Billie's performance, which is more like Billie, than Darn That Dream.

User Info Menu

...almost forgot... talking about Billiy here is a recommended movie for members :-)

The United States vs. Billie Holiday

The United States vs. Billie Holiday (2021) - IMDb

User Info Menu

There's no doubt similarity in the second half of the A section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    You are right, the ending of A part has similar melody and mood, btw for me that is the only interesting part in Good Morning Heartache. Darn That Dream, which is one of my favourite standard has very exciting beginning, and keeps interest during the tune. It is true, I totally can not feel it in Billie's performance, which is more like Billie, than Darn That Dream.

Damn, G,

Every time I hear Dexter play this song it gets better and better. What a song stylist! Thanks! Play live . . . Marinero