The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Our standard for May 2021 will be September Song (Kurt Weill, Maxwell Anderson, 1938).

Background:
    Jazz Standards Songs and Instrumentals (September Song)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ah...

User Info Menu

Treasure of Sierra Madre was on TV on Friday night. It made me recall that Walter Huston, who received an Academy Award for his performance in the movie, was the fellow who popularized "September Song" on Broadway when he essayed the role of Peter Stuyvesant.

Very talented guy.

(Sorry for the intrusion.)
    Last edited by Greentone; 05-03-2021 at 10:46 AM.

User Info Menu

I'll try to jump in on this one. I absolutely love this song.

That sounded really nice, rag. Definitely a "ragman kinda tune."

User Info Menu

I'm hearing that a lot - your kind of tune, suits your style... Is it the tunes or the way I do 'em?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I'm hearing that a lot - your kind of tune, suits your style... Is it the tunes or the way I do 'em?
    You have a very identifiable sound that works really well on certain tunes.

User Info Menu

Here's my contribution. Far from perfect, but if it was, there would have to be some trickery involved! This coming September I turn 65, so this song is VERY relatable for me.
    Played two times through, fairly slow tempo of 110 BPM.

User Info Menu

What's up everybody. Here's my submission. It's on organ, my new XK-5 so I don't have much experience on it. But I'm happy enough to submit it. It has foot bass and melody with response for the A section - 3 voices - and foot bass with 2 handed playing for the bridge. You probably need good speakers or headphones to hear the bassline.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I thought my first one dragged a bit even though it's technically a slow and moody song so I got up and chomped my way through this.
    I like that slightly cheerful version of yours. Nice feel. I also liked your ending.

User Info Menu

Thanks ragman, alpop and Clint for your contributions.
    Here is my effort this month

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Thanks ragman, alpop and Clint for your contributions.
    Here is my effort this month

Nicely done hohoho! I like that it is all you, and no pre-fab backing tracks. Is that three tracks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alpop
    Nicely done hohoho! I like that it is all you, and no pre-fab backing tracks. Is that three tracks?
    Thanks alpop! Well, if you count the click track (count in) there are three .
    The comping is walking bass and shell chords played simultaneously.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hohoho
    Thanks alpop! Well, if you count the click track (count in) there are three .
    The comping is walking bass and shell chords played simultaneously.
    That is well done! Takes quite a bit of work and practice to get happening. See you (hear you) June 30th I presume?