The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm goofing around, trying to write a tune where the A section is minor sounding and the B section modulates and is "as major as possible".

I came up with what is in the title:
    A section: in F minor
    B section: in C major

Do you know any tune like that (feel free to transpose the whole thing)?

Related question: what tune is a good example of switching substantially between minor and major tonality?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Probably not what you are looking for, last week I played
    Quizas, Quizas, Quizas. A section in minor and B section
    in the parallel major.

A

||: Cm | Fm G7 | Cm | Fm7 Bb7 | Ebma7 Abma7 | Cm G7 | Cm Fm | Cm :||

B

G7 | % | C | % | G7 | % | C | % ||

A

Cm | Fm G7 | Cm | Fm7 Bb7 | Ebma7 Abma7 | Cm G7 | Cm Fm | Cm ||

User Info Menu

The two classic(al) ones are going to the parallel major and going to the relative major. I'm looking for more unusual examples.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles

Related question: what tune is a good example of switching substantially between minor and major tonality?
    Sorry, couldn't resist.

User Info Menu

In a Sentimental Mood.
    D minor in the A sections, Db major in the bridge.

Lullaby of the Leaves
    C minor in the A sections, C major in the bridge.

User Info Menu

Angel Eyes (This Masquerade) starts in the i minor and goes to the bVI Major, then briefly to the V Major. Nardis goes from i minor to bVI Major. ..
    Let's Face the Music and Dance does too.

User Info Menu

I was thinking of some tune that started in Fm and then went to C and I remembered "What Is This Thing Called Love?"
    It starts in Fminor on the A section, and then ends in CMajor
    Then the bridge is ii V in Bb, but it ends on G7, which is V of V in Fminor, and we're back at the top in Fm, but it finally ends in C Major. I've always thought it's a weird song.
    Bernie's Tune is another one in Dm, that goes to the bVI in Bb on the bridge.

User Info Menu

I'm goofing around, trying to write a tune where the A section is minor sounding and the B section modulates and is "as major as possible".

I came up with what is in the title:
    A section: in F minor
    B section: in C major

Do you know any tune like that?
    No, but you've just described the "A" section of Cole Porter's What Is This Thing Called Love (he also came up with "what is" in the title!).

Gm7b5 | C7b9 | Fm6 | % |
    Dm7b5 | G7#5 | Cmaj7 | % |

Perhaps you could expand upon his idea of pivoting around the enharmonic equivalents Fm6 and Dm7b5? Or maybe build a melody around the Coltrane changes that JC himself uses in his contrafact, Fifth House but at half the rate (e.g. one chord per bar)?

User Info Menu

Another weird one was It Was Just One of Those Things.
    Starts in D minor (F) then the bridge goes to Eb Major, and then C major, before returning to Dm top and ending in F.

User Info Menu

Django is also weird. It's in F minor all the way through, but then has that contrasting section in Db, starting on the IV chord (Gb7), then Db7 in a bluesy feel. Then it goes back to Fm.

User Info Menu

Another strange one is "All or Nothing At All".
    Starts in Aminor Then the bridge is in Ab!
    Then back to Am, with final cadence in C.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Lots of great examples there. So far, my pivot from F minor to C major is pretty in your face. The A section has a couple "DbMaj7 CAlt Fm6" but then DbMaj7 goes to CMaj7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Another strange one is "All or Nothing At All".
    Starts in Aminor Then the bridge is in Ab!
    Then back to Am, with final cadence in C.
    What version is that? I googled and I don't see the move to Ab.

User Info Menu

What version is that? I googled and I don't see the move to Ab.

Look at the last two chords, they're a ii V in Ab which leads to the bridge. I've played this song so many times with a Sinatra impersonator I used to work with, that it's imprinted in my mind that it's one of those tunes that goes into a distant key on the bridge.
    Last edited by sgcim; 05-31-2021 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Look at the last two chords, they're a ii V in Ab which leads to the bridge. I've played this song so many times with a Sinatra impersonator I used to work with, that it's imprinted in my mind that it's one of those tunes that goes into a distant key on the bridge.
    As a personal report in college by my Music Theory teacher said (which I shouldn't have been looking at) "He seems fascinated with complex harmonic aspects of the music we are studying")
    Got it! (Here in 2 flats)

User Info Menu

Got it! (Here in 2 flats)

Yeah, Gm to Gb. The switch from minor to a foreign major key gives it an energy that it wouldn't have if the songwriter had chosen Bb major. Also, the arrangement on that thing really swings.

The earliest I learned was Blue Bossa by Kenny Durham I think. C minor with a Dflat B section. Still a fun standard!!!

User Info Menu

I thought this was an interesting video about a modulation (G major to Cb major).