The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Can anybody suggest jazz heads for the good old fashioned blues: I/ IV/I/I/ IV/IV/I/I/V/IV/I/V.
    I've found Blue Seven and Bessie's Blues. There must be a bunch more. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Coltrane's Up Against The Wall is a nice one.

User Info Menu

Things Ain't What They Used to Be (Ellington)
    Saturday Night Blues (Kenny Burrell)
    Blue Monk (the head is just V V I + a turnaround rather than V IV I + turnaround, but soloing lots of people solo on V IV I)
    Freddie Freeloader, sort of. The turnaround is just two bars of Ab7, but you can do at as a "blues blues"

Pretty much any blues head actually works on either "blues blues" or "jazz blues changes". Nobody will arrest you or throw things at you if you do it one one or the other.

John

Thanks Alter. That is a great tune. Thanks. I clicked on the youtube link. Wow, so great. I immediately subscribed. Everyone, give yourself a treat, click on Alters link. You're welcome.

Thanks John A, and you answered my question about mixing 'em up without my having to ask.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjr
    Thanks Alter. That is a great tune. Thanks. I clicked on the youtube link. Wow, so great. I immediately subscribed. Everyone, give yourself a treat, click on Alters link. You're welcome.
    I rarely, very rarely, wax lyrical about anybody but I like Alter. He's a proper muso, he does the biz. Even when he's finding his way around a tune, he delivers. But he never pushes himself, that's the good bit. And he's a nice guy too, the best usually are.

You'll not find much better than this.

Their names are a bit of a mouthful, though...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Haha, thanks! When studying in the states, they usually had to change letter fond to fit my name in forms..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Haha, thanks! When studying in the states, they usually had to change letter fond to fit my name in forms..
    I used to live in a shared house with lots of Greek students. They were great. Of course, when they brought girls home nothing could happen unless they'd been married first. That's when I became a priest... (temporarily). Many moons ago now :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I rarely, very rarely, wax lyrical about anybody but I like Alter. He's a proper muso, he does the biz. Even when he's finding his way around a tune, he delivers. But he never pushes himself, that's the good bit. And he's a nice guy too, the best usually are.

You'll not find much better than this.

I LOVE this !
    I'm your latest subscriber Alter ... this would be my dream gig. I'd even learn to play the guitar backwards

Cheers,
    Mike

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Lemme check my "Nothin' BUT the BLUES" iTunes playlist of 1,248 songs that I've compiled...

Here are some of the A's on my list

Ad-Lib Blues by Charlie Christian:

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens:

After Hours Blues:

And for extra credit:

Lemme tell you, when that song was initially recommended to me for learning how to play a jazz blues... I was dumbfounded. Now, I understand