The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 52

User Info Menu

and yes I've been a huge admirer of Joni since I first heard her back in 1970...she couldn't make it to Woodstock her tune captured everything that Woodstock stood for...so nice to see her do it on guitar

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, it's hard not fall in love with her. Such a great songwriter, with a really unique guitar style, interesting technique with occasionally surprising harmonic shifts. What's not to like?

User Info Menu

Big, big fan!
    When I was young and discovered jazz I sold all my 'rock' lps but kept hers (not that I'd classify her as a rock artist, she's unclassifiable, if that's a word )

User Info Menu

She lookin’ pretty Fly with that guitar...

I’ve never seen her with that. Concert recorded in ‘98–one of her last live performances, I think.

The guitar and the effects complement her singing.

User Info Menu

She shows that immense talent, creativity and hard work lead to success but not necessarily happiness.

User Info Menu

Sometimes happiness without success...

User Info Menu

The Boho Dance is a such an exquisite, humbling masterpiece in all senses that I wouldn't know where to start.
    Oh ... it's way too short.

User Info Menu

Huge fan...she's absolutely brilliant.

User Info Menu

Wow! I remember seeing Joni's studio live in Finnish tv with that Parker guitar and it made a huge impact.

Just about a month ago tried to find out what concert was it but didn't find. And now You put a song from that concert here. Great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Sometimes happiness without success...

She's had a difficult decade.

I'm a huge fan. Her voice is angelic. I love her poetry and painting.

User Info Menu

Genius. Ain't no other word for her.

User Info Menu

joni !
    yeah !

you made me go youtubing some joni
    and listened to some versions of
    Woodstock

wonderful .... it’s kinda modal
    I dropped one then both my E strings to
    D and jammed on Woodstock in D minor
    never done this or other tunings before
    loving it

so thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Perdido;[URL="tel:1103137"
    1103137[/URL]]Genius. Ain't no other word for her.
    totally , her timing and her bar lengths
    are a thing of wonder to me
    I can’t count em
    Amelia etc

maybe be she just feels it
    maybe it’s like the old country blues guys
    who just played the number of beats as
    they felt it ?

User Info Menu

Saw her with Metheny, Lyle Mays and Tommy Scott, would that be the 'miles of aisles' tour? Breathtaking mastery.

I think it was later, but Edith and Kingpin stops me in my tracks every time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    She shows that immense talent, creativity and hard work lead to success but not necessarily happiness.
    Well said. All too true.

User Info Menu

I've been a Joni fan since purchasing Hissing of Summer Lawns on vinyl a very (very) long time ago.

Here's a very fine tribute to Joni by another master. Joni appears to be enjoying it:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    She lookin’ pretty Fly with that guitar...

I’ve never seen her with that. Concert recorded in ‘98–one of her last live performances, I think.

The guitar and the effects complement her singing.
    She hardly ever wrote two songs with the same guitar tuning. This eventually led her to consider retiring from live performing - she was tired of retuning for each song, plus was concerned that was going to damage her guitars.

I think it was David Crosby who suggested trying a Parker Fly with the Roland VG-1. With that combo, she could simply step through all of the various tunings with a tap of her toe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grandstick01
    She hardly ever wrote two songs with the same guitar tuning. This eventually led her to consider retiring from live performing - she was tired of retuning for each song, plus was concerned that was going to damage her guitars.

I think it was David Crosby who suggested trying a Parker Fly with the Roland VG-1. With that combo, she could simply step through all of the various tunings with a tap of her toe.
    She would accept advice from a former boyfriend? Never worked for me...

Interesting though. One would think she could afford a guitar tech who would manage all the tuning stuff and guitar selections for her.

User Info Menu

For me there was only Blue. And maybe a bit of Big Yellow Taxi :-)

User Info Menu

My favorite, on Court and Spark:

That melody. That HARMONY.

Joni was hip and a beautiful story teller.

And...

Tina, wow!

User Info Menu

I'm going to be in the minority but I dug her debut lp "Song To A Seagull" best, though I like most of her stuff.
    I did kind of lose track of her track of her after Mingus.

Here's "Nathan LaFraneer" from Seagul, brilliant lyrics

Last edited by wintermoon; 03-03-2021 at 04:18 AM.

User Info Menu

"Marcie" another from Seagull, very sad tune, she really paints a picture.....
    might be my favorite tune of hers and that's saying something.

Last edited by wintermoon; 03-03-2021 at 04:18 AM.

User Info Menu

Something went wrong between Pat and Joni during the Shadows and lights tour, even though it was a big success. Pat said he had a great respect for Joni but he joined the band mainly because he liked to play with Jaco. Also, Pat was not a Mingus fan.
    Joni and Pat never recorded again nor Metheny is present on Herbie's The Joni letters, for instance. Anyone can help?

User Info Menu

I wonder why Pat was not a Mingus fan?

User Info Menu

I think she's on record as saying the Polio she contracted as a child left her with fingers that couldn't / wouldn't make the chords she knew...lowering the pitches made playing easier.

Meeting a drummer who said 'Oh cool, so we do 5 bars of 7/4 & then 4 of 3/4 ?' instead of 'you're playing that wrong'

The rest is genius...