User Info Menu

Can’t resist another one!

User Info Menu

If you're gonna link tunes to that record don't forget this one

User Info Menu

And one of her best known

User Info Menu

joelf Guest
    Yeah, how 'BOUT her? Only one of the greatest to EVER go on mic---any music form.

I wanted to learn What Are You Doing New Year's Eve---went to Nancy.
    Ditto Never Let me Go.
    Who was the ONLY one considered to premiere Mercer-Manilow's When October Goes? Right.

It's that wonderful timbre; that ability that all the great ones like Sinatra had to act a lyric; her utter professionalism; and absolute control of not only her instrument but a wide range of dynamics and emotion. Bacharach always went with Dionne Warwick, and she's good---but no Nancy Wilson. The way she crests on a ballad, then brings it home---like on Save Your Love For Me. OR---the opposite: builds and builds suspense on Guess Who I Saw Today? until 'I saw you' is as inevitable as it is anticlimactic. You knew where it was going, but wouldn't dream of turning your attention away for a nanosecond.

She said her model was little Jimmy Scott. I hear Dinah; and even Eartha Kitt. At that level they influence each other---listened to each other's recordings; worked the same saloons and stages.

Like Gil said of Miles: 'I'm sure glad she was born'...

I bought an amp from a guy who used to play for George Shearing and Nancy Sinatra. Frank used to let Nancy be his opening act,so it kind of thrilled me to know that my amp had been used for Sinatra property! I once rented it to Jerry Hahn for a Kansas City Jazz Festival. This guitarist told me that George Shearing was thrilled to have bought a home on San Franciscos Nob Hill. We sometimes sell blind people short I think. Clark Terry finished out his last few years about 30 miles from me as Artist In Residence at UAPB a mainly black state university . He had a blind piano student who would travel over a thousand miles each way to study with Dr. Terry because he loved his music that much!Clark terrys playing with Jim Hall was OUTSTANDING!!!

User Info Menu

Never met the lady but I delivered the L.A.Times to her address in Baldwin Hills as a teen.

A callow youth I understood she was great, but not then how Great.

Thanks to all for the links.

User Info Menu

I listen to Nancy's albums at least once a week. She was a consummate artist and one of Jazz's greatest song stylists. Serious soloists can learn from her pacing, dynamics, and interpretative nuances. . . a refreshing departure from the tired, formulaic, cliche-ridden soup du jour of most contemporary vocalists/musicians. First class! Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

I love her version of this tune, and Bob Mintzer's solo is outstanding:

User Info Menu

I had the good fortune of catching her at a Seattle New Years Eve concert in ‘94. She was phenomenal. She’s at the top of my list for female singers for sure. I also love her hour long weekly broadcast of Jazz Profiles radio broadcast on NPR. It had a long run.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    She made a great record with Cannonball Adderley:

Fantastic Frank Loesser tune. Only came across it recently and I'll be arranging it for the vocalist in our combo - we've been doing online stuff but we've got a real live gig in August which looks viable!

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Fantastic Frank Loesser tune. Only came across it recently and I'll be arranging it for the vocalist in our combo - we've been doing online stuff but we've got a real live gig in August which looks viable!
    Didn't know Loesser wrote this---HUGE fan.

What show?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    Didn't know Loesser wrote this---HUGE fan.

What show?
    Greenwillow - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

I guess she's a runner up. She also is a highly talented performer who has shaped the curve of modern music and has a track record of 40 years in the business. There were very, very few female hard rock guitarists when she started. She held her own with grace and elegance while dominating the stage with her talent and force when called for.

The thread is titled "How Bout Nancy Wilson". There is another.

How Bout Nancy Wilson-cba5e9e832a78efefe3666c14159c337-jpg

Here's one of my favorite videos of all time. Those of a certain age will fully appreciate this tribute.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

great NANCY WILSON tunes...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal

Hi, JL,
    I don't think you can explain this music in any academic sense. There are some who have a "gift" and Nancy was one of the fortunate few. It's more than notes . . . it's a special mixture of music and an enlightened human being. Beautiful!

Play live . . . . when?????
    Marinero

joelf Guest
    There's a really nice back story to this recording:

Barry Manilow (yeah, BARRY MANILOW---and put him down after you hear this melody----I learned the hard way) had struck up a friendship with Johnny Mercer. Seems Mercer's daughter's name was Mandy---same as Manilow's 1st big hit.

After Mercer died Manilow got wind of this lyric lying in his drawer, no music, maybe even no plans. He wrote a beautiful melody---and what better insurance policy in premiering a tune than:

I haven't heard anyone touch this version yet (Though Johnny O' Neal does a very nice job)...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    There's a really nice back story to this recording:

Barry Manilow (yeah, BARRY MANILOW---and put him down after you hear this melody----I learned the hard way) had struck up a friendship with Johnny Mercer. Seems Mercer's daughter's name was Mandy---same as Manilow's 1st big hit.

After Mercer died Manilow got wind of this lyric lying in his drawer, no music, maybe even no plans. He wrote a beautiful melody---and what better insurance policy in premiering a tune than:

I haven't heard anyone touch this version yet (Though Johnny O' Neal does a very nice job)...
    Most people would be surprised to hear that Barry Manilow played piano (in a Bill Evans-influenced style) for Jack Wilkins' first band. Speaking of influence, I also hear Eartha Kitt and Dinah Washington in Nancy's vocal tone and delivery.

How Bout Nancy Wilson-jw-jpeg

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Most people would be surprised to hear that Barry Manilow played piano (in a Bill Evans-influenced style) for Jack Wilkins' first band. Speaking of influence, I also hear Eartha Kitt and Dinah Washington in Nancy's vocal tone and delivery.

How Bout Nancy Wilson-jw-jpeg
    Now I KNOW he was from Brooklyn---Jack's a Brooklyn boy, along with Carl Barry (my teacher at 17, and the 1st one to mention Jack to me); Dom Minasi and others. ]

I figured Manilow was from Brooklyn b/c when he was Bette Midler's MD in the '70s my 'wayback' Bensonhurst resident guitarist Frank Vento was in that band. I confess that I rolled my eyes watching Manilow corn it up on the '77 Grammys, but this song wipes the slate clean, and like Billy Joel he's a pro and a real tunesmith. He paid mucho dues...

User Info Menu

Manilow studied at the New York College of Music and Julliard. He began "pop music" composing at 21.
    Play live . . . Marinero