Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

C’mon guys, how’d you forget this one!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Emotional Brazilian tune we used to do:

I remember living near and recording with Larry Totsie Davis. I played backing guitar on a blues record produced by Albert King. Albert gave Totsie one of his Gibson Flying V. guitars. As to whether Albert was really illiterate I think he was. I brought an album I wanted Mr. King to autograph and at first he gave to his valet to autograph it but I said I wanted A real one. It took him about 10 minutes to write about 7 words. I also remember when he said this song gonna be in 34 but really it was standard blues where the band came in on the 4 with a 5 chord. Albert had an older Cadillac limo with sunburst material on the roof and landau bars. Totsie used to play a blues show at a chili parlor on 9th street in Little Rock.Arkansas that started at 10 AM. Oh they sold Schilz tall boyz too! I heard he moved to Austin and I guess SRV had a hit with one of his songs. There is a bluesman named Luscious Spiller who has moved to Clarksdale,MS that is authentic and very talented at blues music. Maybe someone can teach me how to post a you tube video on JGO because I find some that I think are of Great value to guitar fans.Thank You! Oh Luscious has a Great version of Rainy Night In Georgia on YT. Tony Joe White lived in Memphis Chomp Chomp!

As far as a perfect guitar tone for a rock ballad I think Larry Carltons tone on Emotions wound Us So is just about perfect! As far as obtaining it myself I think something preamp I suppose in the Dumble Bludotone family will be the way to go. I have just ordered a XTS 3 pedal preamp that I hope will allow me to obtain a similar tone at home volume. I think this pedal with an HX line 6 EFX unit will give a lot usable tones for processed tone.but guitar straight into amp is hard to beat!

User Info Menu

Yet another rain song:

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steve burchfield
    I remember living near and recording with Larry Totsie Davis. I played backing guitar on a blues record produced by Albert King. Albert gave Totsie one of his Gibson Flying V. guitars. As to whether Albert was really illiterate I think he was. I brought an album I wanted Mr. King to autograph and at first he gave to his valet to autograph it but I said I wanted A real one. It took him about 10 minutes to write about 7 words. I also remember when he said this song gonna be in 34 but really it was standard blues where the band came in on the 4 with a 5 chord. Albert had an older Cadillac limo with sunburst material on the roof and landau bars. Totsie used to play a blues show at a chili parlor on 9th street in Little Rock.Arkansas that started at 10 AM. Oh they sold Schilz tall boyz too! I heard he moved to Austin and I guess SRV had a hit with one of his songs. There is a bluesman named Luscious Spiller who has moved to Clarksdale,MS that is authentic and very talented at blues music. Maybe someone can teach me how to post a you tube video on JGO because I find some that I think are of Great value to guitar fans.Thank You! Oh Luscious has a Great version of Rainy Night In Georgia on YT. Tony Joe White lived in Memphis Chomp Chomp!
    Thanks for the story Larry Davis fan here. I've got three of his later albums. His guitar has such a smooth sound with long sustain. Do you happen to know if he probably used a compressor at times?

I am not sure about compressor use. Most likely he just turned up a Fender amp and stood near it. I would like to know what you think about Lucious Spiller? I think you will like him a lot! I have worked with him ,too. I understand hes beenplaying at Morgan Freemans Blues and Soul Food place in Clarksdale, Mississippi where there is a blues museum. I have not been to that one but there is also a really good Blues Museum in W.Helena Arkansas. Levon Helm was raised about 15 miles from there. One of Albert Kings Gibson Flying V guitars is there and lots of Hatch Show posters. When I got to play with Albert I asked if I could try his Erlewine Flying V. Its the guitar he used with the SRV jam DVD and CD. He used Black Diamond strings with an unusual tuning and a wound G. Albert liked the Great Big Acoustic solid state guitar amp with 2 15 inch speakers and a HF horn! I saw him at Club Paradise in Memphis and he was LOUD! White table cloths and BYOB serving set-ups untill 3or 4 in the morning! It was GREAT! I got to see Otis Redding at a similar set up in Little Rock when I was 12.1966 I think. Wolf Marshall has a very good book about Alberts tuning and style. Oh yea I was told that Robert Plant had been to the W. Helena Museum a few days before I saw it. They had a radio station that used to play Sonny Boy Williamson a lot! I think he was from that area,too. These days I think Beale Street in Memphis would normally have quite a bit of good live blues. B.B.Kings is there I think. He had a chain of rooms all over I believe. I really like Mississippi Fred McDowell he dont play no rock n roll!!!

If you want to hear me I have 3 videos on YT. One my name is mispelled with a i instead of a u. Im not very proud of it because it was just an old white guy senior blues jam but you can hear my take on electric blues guitar. The other two are Flamenco Blues I think they called it and my attempt at fretless guitar and slide. It was not my idea to put these out but its fun to surprise people with cell phones sometimes. They also had a jazz jam night which was better but it was not taped. Our drummer Yvette Preyer played with M.McDonald a number of years. You can see her with him on the 09 with friends on YT. Our other guitar player once drove over a thousand miles to play one of Wes M. guitars. He has played with Pharoh Sanders and many others. His brother Eric Strothers played the Neville Brothers and Dr. John a number of years. We played mainly just for the love of music!!! The room is now closed because of covid.

User Info Menu

You better pay the rainmaker next time:

User Info Menu

Even Donald Fagen had a Rain song:

User Info Menu

King Crimson's Matte Kudasai is a rain-themed song as well. And a very nice one too, in my opinion. I tried to post is twice last night. Guess it didn't make it past the Grand Jury here I suppose. Or something else went wrong.
    My question being: is it oblidged to post a song with Rain in the title? Maybe somebody will be so kind to fill me in on that one.

So I try again with Comsat Angel's - After The Rain wich is much less interesting as a composition, and in instrumentation/performance. Having said that, it still has a place in my heart.