The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

I wonder what key most on the forum play this tune in? I have tried and number and due to the jumps in melody it just depends. It makes a great solo piece and seems it is all over the board as to what key it is usually played in. So first question is what is your preferred key for solo playing and what key is it usually played in on the bandstand?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don't play it. Don't even know the tune. But from the sheet music (RealBook) I'd say either the original Key, (F) and next best alternatives would be B-flat or E-flat. All depending on what other instruments you play it with.

To understand your question better, you could give us some more information on in what bandsetting you like to play this. Is it solo? Well, that is relatively easy. Simply transpose it to the key that suits your liking or abilities. So a bit of explanation may help further this a bit for you.
    I saw 80 people have seen your topic in the meantime, but didn't reply. So I give it a shot to try helping you out. Cheers.

Well I mean in general played from the bandstand. I generally do chord melody in the key that the tune is usually played in without real reference to abilities or anything else. I am competent guitarist and figure I should be able to simply play the tune when needed regardless. I just notice that this tune in the recordings I see are a bit all over the place. I have it in B minor but frankly if playing solo G or F minor would be better. I don't think of tunes that way maybe I should. I generally think of tunes like,
    Have You Met Miss Jones. This is normally done in F so that is what I generally us to play it. In fact I don't recall playing it in any other key even on the bandstand.

I don't care that folks don't reply maybe this is not something that interest them. So of the forum is active and other parts no so much. Myself I never go into the theory part of the forum even though I know theory and use it. I just find some discussion of what scale to use over a chord as way too much information. Thinking is good for playing but at some point it is ears and happens without too much real thinking. Same with tunes and this Estate just to me has lots of options.

User Info Menu

The great Michel Petrucciani played it in B minor. There’s never been a better piano version. Michel holds the audience in his hands, the rise, the fall, and rise again. What a master musician!

here’s a guitar version also in b minor. Sounds good

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 01-19-2021 at 06:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Here’s Matt Otten’s chords in E minor

User Info Menu

I usually play it solo in E minor, but I have played it in Bm and Am.

User Info Menu

e minor,beautiful

User Info Menu

Bm

User Info Menu

Joao Gilberto sang it in B minor, looking at the videos. But any song can be transposed into any key depending on range issues, of course- B minor probably just suited Joao's voice. A minor might be interesting in accommodating the use of open strings in the bass.

User Info Menu

The original composer sang and played it in Dm. It became a jazz favorite through Gilberto's version, in Bm. Shirley Horn did it in Fm. Etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I wonder what key most on the forum play this tune in? I have tried and number and due to the jumps in melody it just depends. It makes a great solo piece and seems it is all over the board as to what key it is usually played in. So first question is what is your preferred key for solo playing and what key is it usually played in on the bandstand?
    I play it in B minor. That does put the bridge in B major which is not a common key. Many musicians try to avoid keys like B major.
    My saxophonist buddy likes to play this song in E minor or A minor.
    I have written the chart out in all three of the keys mentioned above. If anyone is interested, let me know and I can send you a copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    The original composer sang and played it in Dm. It became a jazz favorite through Gilberto's version, in Bm. Shirley Horn did it in Fm. Etc...
    Who remembers the live slow SH version of Estate and Quiet Nights from the Live at Vine St. album. Sublime!

User Info Menu

Regardless of key, I play Estate in 7/8. A lot of tunes can feel shoehorned when placed inside 'odd' time signatures but the melody for this one fits perfectly.