The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    That last question is a joke right? I hope so; most of life isn't based on silly binary questions.

Life is based on a percentile distribution.

Joke'?

It's just me exploring Marinero's convictions .. If he can judge Elenora Strino so harshly for doing a wee bit of showmanship in her performance then he has to state that the latter half of Miles career is utter shite as well

Not to mention the back to the audience and other antics that he employed quite early on too

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Joke'?

It's just me exploring Marinero's convictions .. If he can judge Elenora Strino so harshly for doing a wee bit of showmanship in her performance then he has to state that the latter half of Miles career is utter shite as well

Not to mention the back to the audience and other antics that he employed quite early on too
    Ah, I understand now; Yes, some people's "convictions" are highly rooted in binary corners. A strawman is created for the opposing corner and this leads to overemphasis of where one stands (from both sides), as part of knee jerk reactions to overemphasis. See latest bebop high art thread (ha ha).

Note that my percentile point was a point about degrees. When talking about showmanship and artist, I like using Elvis - Elvis had both (duh), and his early musical career focused more on the music. As his career went his live concerts became more about showmanship and less about music. I.e. the degree shifted too much to the showmanship side.

As for Elenore Strino: I think she balances the two well in most cases (in some videos she may lean towards the showmanship side a little too much,,, but that is a very minor, and mostly empty, criticism).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    As for Elenore Strino: I think she balances the two well in most cases (in some videos she may lean towards the showmanship side a little too much,,, but that is a very minor, and mostly empty, criticism).

I think artists are made by pundits once their time is up. Most of them are just enjoying themselves and trying to make a living .. A lot of them have a sense of humor too .. which the pundit rarely show

Anyways .. übermench and grand artist Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with his smash "Leck mir in Arsch" or as we would say Iick me in the ass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    The road to artistry is long and, for most, uncertain. However, there has been one litmus test for arrival: the ballad. The ballad brings together the entire array of a musician's skills and sensibilities. I have always believed that it is more difficult to play one note well than a flurry of notes in succession. Every note must count, every breath, every lingering and nuance. Here's the great ballad master talking about the ballad in the intro of his interview.
    Why don't you post a simple video to illustrate what you mean with notes played on your own instrument?
    Last edited by Peter C; 02-01-2021 at 09:23 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, Hep,
    I've had more polish in my ears than most after a lifetime of living/loving music. However, it would be fair to say that I have some stringent standards and real likes/dislikes. I have little free time and want to be moved by music . . . ergo, although I give many people a "listen," it usually doesn't make it past the opening melody for most newcomers. So, if I have an hour to listen to music, do I choose to listen to musicians that move me emotionally/spiritually, or . . . do I listen to a flurry of newcomers with short exits? However, that's how I found Birelli LaGrene, Yamandu Costa, Joey Alexander, Pavel Steidl, etc.
    In regards to attractive women, I'm a healthy, heterosexual male and love physically beautiful women especially if they are talented. My first wife and current are both very physically beautiful women and very talented visual artists(painters). However, if I judged them by their Art, their physical looks would not be a consideration. Thanks for your honest reply.
    Play live . . . Marinero

P.S. Great video, Hep! You want to now why Jazz is terminal? Because people stopped dancing to Jazz when it went to the concert hall. Music was both Art and Entertainment. And, "Schtick" and novelty songs were part of the show. That's how they made the money. But, along with the "schtick" came some great Jazz music! M
    Haha, stop right there. You're so so full of it no need further explanation. But it makes a fun read.

joelf Guest
    Back to ballads, this one by SW and Syreeta isn't as known as it ought to be. Right before the Motown breakaway and those 2 brilliant re-inventions (Music of my Mind; Talking Book) and the strings and reeds are tasteful, never obtrusive.

I learned it to couple w/Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer for an upcoming recording. Analyzing it the transition to the bridge and the note choice getting back---genius).

Oh hell, here are both:

I love her lyrics, and was convinced she was the better of the 2. Then I kicked all pre-conceptions out of my narrowed mind and read the entire lyric leaflet to Songs in the Key of Life and finally got it. He DOES break 'rules' but is a born poet with much of importance to tell us---aside from the musical genius. He's a treasure (as was Syreeta, gone in 2006---RIP)...

joelf Guest
    ....And there's this live performance in tribute to Michael Jackson soon after his death---which makes it hard work hard not to cry: