The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

The head of this is played variously. Which take do you prefer?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been looking for an excuse to post this:

Thanks!
    Danny W.

User Info Menu

Basie is my preference, followed by OP/Stitt. Kessel is more CC than KC while Herb/Duke is more C&W than either. That Basie/Nestico chart has been in the book of pretty much every big band I hve played in, a real classic. But give a listen to the original Bennie Moten recording on utube.

User Info Menu

I prefer the Sonny Stitt \ OP version, but then in most cases I prefer a sax to state the melody \ head over any other instrument or combination of instruments (e.g. big band sound).

User Info Menu

Basie presumably learned it directly from Benny Moten, so I would expect that to be the more definitive version. Arrangements do change over time, though. How about this one, with Basie on piano?
    Not the same arrangement as the ones that came later, but unmistakably the original version.

User Info Menu

I appreciate the Moten arrangement but I prefer the way Kessel plays it, and also the Herb & Duke Robillard version. I know they're far removed from the original but that's not a deal-breaker for me. They're small group, riffy takes. That's my wheelhouse. ;o)

(I wouldn't expect a big band to play them that way.)

User Info Menu

... with Les Paul:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I appreciate the Moten arrangement but I prefer the way Kessel plays it, and also the Herb & Duke Robillard version. I know they're far removed from the original but that's not a deal-breaker for me. They're small group, riffy takes. That's my wheelhouse. ;o)

(I wouldn't expect a big band to play them that way.)
    In your initial post you only mention the playing of the head. On the Kessel album I can't even tell if he is playing on the head or not. I sure can't hear him. Therefore the "I prefer the way Kessel plays IT" is confusing to me; I.e. what is IT?

If IT is the playing of the entire song, or the solos, I would prefer the Kessel version but that is just because I'm nuts about Kessel.

User Info Menu

Coincidentally, I just learned this head from the Barney Kessell version posted here. But I can't figure out what's happening with the Bennie Moten versions. Is there a separate introduction on this song that the other players have dropped? I don't hear the "head" until the end starting at 2:38.

Am I hearing it wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    In your initial post you only mention the playing of the head. On the Kessel album I can't even tell if he is playing on the head or not. I sure can't hear him. Therefore the "I prefer the way Kessel plays IT" is confusing to me; I.e. what is IT?

If IT is the playing of the entire song, or the solos, I would prefer the Kessel version but that is just because I'm nuts about Kessel.
    I believe Kessel is playing on the head, yes.

By the way, Duke Robillard used to teach this head with chord voicings---not like the way he plays it with Herb but more like the original head---and I found it worth learning because one has to slide three-note voicings, a skill worth learning.

In a way, this tune (as swing big bands played it) is like "Jumping At The Woodside", which is also a great big band vehicle but not much of a tune in itself.

I'm more of a "Flying Home" kinda guy, I guess.