The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    joelf Guest
    My latest offered links (and lead sheet) is for the great Benny Carter's Only Trust Your Heart. It's a beautifully crafted, streamlined melody, set in bossa nova style. (I'm not in love with Sammy Cahn's routine girl-meets-boy lyric, but that's what he was paid to do. It's just that the title to me suggests a lyric about being true to ourselves).

Here's the master from his Songbook, with Dianne Reeves; followed by a samba-like rendition I like by Houston Person:

My lead sheet, in the original key of C Major, stays close to Benny's changes---except when I was feeling chromatic. Notes in parentheses are for instrumental versions...
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

cool. Love this tune, gonna print up your version today and check it out.

User Info Menu

Diana Krall did this tune with the great bassist Christian McBride.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    cool. Love this tune, gonna print up your version today and check it out.
    Cool.

That's why I post 'em...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    My latest offered links (and lead sheet) is for the great Benny Carter's Only Trust Your Heart. It's a beautifully crafted, streamlined melody, set in bossa nova style. (I'm not in love with Sammy Cahn's routine girl-meets-boy lyric, but that's what he was paid to do. It's just that the title to me suggests a lyric about being true to ourselves).

Here's the master from his Songbook, with Dianne Reeves; followed by a samba-like rendition I like by Houston Person:

My lead sheet, in the original key of C Major, stays close to Benny's changes---except when I was feeling chromatic. Notes in parentheses are for instrumental versions...

Hi, J,
    Did anyone else feel Carter's version was too slow? I much preferred Person's tempo and loved his soulful playing. Houston was one of my idols when I was a saxophonist. I'll check out your chart. Thanks for the effort, J. Play live! . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero

Hi, J,
    Did anyone else feel Carter's version was too slow?
    You know---and this is totally personal---I've always felt that Americans playing Bossa Nova seem to shy away from the slower tempos. I find them sexy, 'marinating', and a challenge to both hold there and make sparkle. It's a really worthwhile pursuit IMO.

What shaped this thinking: When I heard and fell in love with the Elis &Tom recording, aside from being generally floored and moved by such artistry I wanted to master both Jobim's intro and that undulating tempo on Corcovado. Worked on it for many years.

But there are so many approaches and they're all as good as the performer feeling them. So, yeah, I dig Houston's tempo a lot. (Maybe Dianne, the featured performer, asked for that tempo? She sure nailed it, and so did the band).

So I hear you...

User Info Menu

Getz au gogo...thats my favorite.