The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29
    joelf Guest
    That's a feature too---last track on the LP. (One side trio, other quartet)...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just got it! Lovely condition and a snip at £10.

A Flower is a Lovesome Thing (Strayhorn)-ahh-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Thanks, Marinero. Thing is, Strayhorn was a pretty mixed up fellow, all kinds of issues there. I mean, if you're going to write about lovely flowers, why use a 7b5 chord? It immediately puts a tension and conflict into it.

So I thought, okay, if that's what you want, let's do it... so I went altered all the way through. So that was the idea there. Joel Fass didn't like it and wanted it pretty so I did the other one, pretty well diatonic. But I was struggling with that feel, I have to say
    Well, one could argue at one time or another we’re all mixed up. So I don’t see Strayhorn’s mixupism significant. How’s about celebrating the mans genius? Or are you just a critic? What you’re criticizing is irrelevant for Strayhorn’s genius stands on its own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Well, one could argue at one time or another we’re all mixed up. So I don’t see Strayhorn’s mixupism significant. How’s about celebrating the man's genius? Or are you just a critic? What you’re criticizing is irrelevant for Strayhorn’s genius stands on its own.
    It's not a criticism, it's an observation.

The question was; If you're going to write about lovely flowers, why use a 7b5 chord? Flowers are supposed to be pleasing, aesthetic, uplifting, beautiful, etc, etc, but a 7b5 chord is harsh, it grates.

I think that's strange, don't you? Unless you can think of a rationale for it. You may call the juxtaposition of two conflicting things genius but I'm really not sure, it's too cheap a trick.

Don't misunderstand me, I like Strayhorn generally. Chelsea Bridge is an all-time favorite. He used a lot of 7b5 (7#11) chords there too, but that was about gloomy bridges and it suited perfectly. But this one's about lovely flowers and not the same thing at all.

I did this about 5 years ago, just dug it out. You'll like it :-)