The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
    joelf Guest
    To check the melody before doing a lead sheet chart on Arlen-Koehler's Ill Wind, I checked with the Chairman (Wee Small Hours), then Billie (All or Nothing at All).

Then Sarah stopped me in my tracks with this intimate rendition---like she was singing to ME (I only know that it's on Roulette records, not the album title):

I'll post my sheet shortly...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I love this tune. A couple of other great performances:

Danny W.

joelf Guest
    Wynton's rendition was the 1st I heard years ago, and drew me to the song.

Who needs drums when you can swing this hard on your own?

The Sarah Vaughan version is from After Hours, the album is a trio affair with Sarah, Mundell Lowe and George Duvivier on guitar and bass. She did a similar album a year or so later, Sarah+2.

How popular was that format at that time? The Julie London - Barney Kessel stuff dates from around 1955 and the Sarah Vaughan is from 1960 or 61. Those are the only ones I know. Are there other examples of vocalist-bass-electric guitar recordings from, say, 1954 to 1964?

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Cement
    The Sarah Vaughan version is from After Hours, the album is a trio affair with Sarah, Mundell Lowe and George Duvivier on guitar and bass. She did a similar album a year or so later, Sarah+2.

How popular was that format at that time? The Julie London - Barney Kessel stuff dates from around 1955 and the Sarah Vaughan is from 1960 or 61. Those are the only ones I know. Are there other examples of vocalist-bass-electric guitar recordings from, say, 1954 to 1964?
    Thanks for the info on Sarah's date.

I'll look into your query...

joelf Guest
    I think Sheila Jordan did one w/Barry Galbraith, but I'm not sure if it was that exact configuration. That time frame, though...

User Info Menu

The Jordan/ Galbraith date was a quartet session w Denzil Best on drums iirc. There's plenty of quartet lps w guitar, Beverly Kenney and Ruth Price ea had one w Johnny Smith and Carmen Mcrae cut a few w Mundell Lowe, but not many w just bass and guitar accompaniment.
    I have a duo lp Jim Hall made w a singer Lee Shaefer "A Girl and a Guitar" Pretty obscure lp, doubt it was ever reissued

joelf Guest
    The chart I posted yesterday had errors. This one is what I meant, and I'll write a cleaner one also and post it...
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

“Sylvia Is” features Sylvia Syms backed by a guitar trio with either Kenny or Bucky.

Danny W.

joelf Guest
    Chet Baker recorded If You Could See me Now with just Bucky...