User Info Menu

Did you ever learn a tune, and its logic is staring you in the face (ear?), yet you just don't hear it?

I'm a repertoire person---I don't believe in 'knowing at' tunes. If you don't know it, learn it---or it's your ass.

So today I was TRYING to remember Burke-Van Heusen's chestnut Imagination. Couldn't remember where the bridge went---partly b/c it's subtly a bit tricky. I was goofing around in F---which may be the original key. To youtube. Sinatra's version way too fast; Ella beautiful---in Ab or Db. Torme came closest, Eb---probably my best singing key (which doesn't say much---for ME, not Eb!).

The bridge continued to bug me. The last 4 is preceded by a deceptive (and slick) transition from Ab to (you THINK) to F. The guide tones couldn't be clearer: Bb Bb E ('...then, and then...'). In the immortal words of a John Belushi character: 'But NOOO!' Into F'ing Bb---=then smoothly back to the mother Eb. OK, but I still didn't HEAR it---that sudden transition from fake-out F to Bb. Took the lyric down, got the melody from The Fog, over to both piano and guitar to sing and play it. Again and again---maybe for an hour.
    Maybe I didn't hear it, but I accepted it (big of me---LOL).

Here's Mel:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music Group Imagination · Mel Tormé Mel Torme In Hollywood ? 1992 UMG Recordings, Inc. Released on: 1992-01-01 Author: Johnn...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That tune has always been one of those songs that I come back to each year and have to relearn. And it’s the bridge that gets me. I can hear my way through the A section. The bridge has a few little sidesteps that aren’t easy to hear. But it’s a great tune and fun to play.

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    That tune has always been one of those songs that I come back to each year and have to relearn. And it’s the bridge that gets me. I can hear my way through the A section. The bridge has a few little sidesteps that aren’t easy to hear. But it’s a great tune and fun to play.
    The 'sidesteps' are what make it interesting---surprise and asymmetry. W/o them it would be another garden variety love ballad of the '40s. Van Heusen had way too much on the ball to go that route.

One song that defies memorizing---at least for me: Bacharach's A House is Not s Home. The rhythmic displacement on the last few bars of A ('when there's no one there---to hold you tight....') are very clever, very correct----and a bitch to memorize. Gotta go over it and over it. And as a 'bonus', the bridge starts 2 bars 'early'!

Bless the quirks, though---they're why, in part at least, why these songs have such staying power...