The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi Everyone, i hope all of you are safe and sound. I am not a real working musician, but rather a hobbyist, who likes to learn tunes from time to time.
    I am just wondering if anyone have any advice on syncopation training on the tune of Jazz Crimes (Joshua Redman).

I really love the tune, but i find it difficult to keep up with the rhythm and comping. Typically i tried to learn the comping and rhythm part of a tune, then move on to the head, then improvisation. But in this case with Jazz Crimes, i am quite stuck in the first step (comping), just trying to digest the rhythm.

Cheers,

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool tune!
    I would probably use
    - sheet music if available (or something like this
    )
    - enter the chord hits in midi sequencer or get a midi file if available
    - then put some very clear and basic drums on another track
    - work on one bar at a time at slow tempo

User Info Menu

How wonderful!
    @fefe: Redman is such a special musician, nice to see someone focusing on this great artist.
    @hohohoho: wow! Cool vid.

The way I see it is: he puts the downbeat every fourth 8th note. If you consider three bars of 4 beats each, the accent is on the beats in bold.
    it is 12/4, in my idea. Or three bars of 4, if you wish.

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and (then it repeats)

The accents in the melody are placed in the same way. It gives the impression of a shifting barline, of triplets over 8th notes or call what you want, but it’s some cool polyrythm.

I think he is inspired by Arabic or Indian music. Most of this great music is in 4/4 or 8, but the accents that are prescribed create polyrythms. You d never know they were playing straight. A lot of polyrythmic players like Redman, Gerald Clayton, Robert Glasper refer to Indian polyrythmic meter.
    Last edited by Djang; 07-01-2020 at 03:22 AM.

User Info Menu

I was a little bit wrong and a little bit right, but, check musesore, the trombone part,
    In large it’s a dowbeat repeating every fourth 8 note. But it starts on the offbeat of the 1!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu