The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dutchbopper's splendid playing of "Like Someone in Love" inspired me to think about this tune. I still get stuck improvising over the changes, so I am working on dressing up and ornamenting the melody a bit. This is old hat to most of you who will be glad to welcome me into jazz kindergarten... but I thought maybe elaborating around the melody could perhaps launch me into an improvisation someday... although today is not that day.

And then there are days I just want to record something because I just love how the guitar sounds, even when I'm playing it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love the cheery vibe. Well done!

User Info Menu

Is that BIAB?I gotta get one of those but im a IT idiot.Really nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EarlBrother
    Is that BIAB?I gotta get one of those but im a IT idiot.Really nice.
    No it’s the Hal Leonard track that goes with the 6th Edition Real Book

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Nice relaxed feel, Lawson. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Dutchbopper's splendid playing of "Like Someone in Love" inspired me to think about this tune. I still get stuck improvising over the changes, so I am working on dressing up and ornamenting the melody a bit. This is old hat to most of you who will be glad to welcome me into jazz kindergarten... but I thought maybe elaborating around the melody could perhaps launch me into an improvisation someday... although today is not that day.

And then there are days I just want to record something because I just love how the guitar sounds, even when I'm playing it.

Why do you say you cannot improvize? You build up some nice phrases with this...

At approx. 00:40 you connect the tail of one motive with the begining of the next motive and it shifts the accent a bIt and makes a new interestng line.

I guess you want to improvize in bebop style based on changes? But improvization based on melody is really creative tool... ans less style-restricted, more individually open.
    Last edited by Jonah; 06-04-2020 at 08:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Why do you say you cannot improvize? You build up some nice phrases with this...

At approx. 00:40 you connect the tail of one motive with the begining of the next motive and it shifts the accent a bIt and makes a new interestng line.

I guess you want to improvize in bebop style based on changes? But improvization based on melody is really creative tool... ans less style-restricted, more individually open.
    Thank you for that. Often I'm so immersed in my own struggles I can't hear things I do well.

I think I'm too haunted by that desire to just launch bop solos over changes. Recently I've started re-visiting tunes I have learned others' solos for, and just started playing the melody line with elaborations. I think after all these years, that is going to be the ticket for me. Melody fragments elaborated and connected in fun ways.

In all honesty, sitting here with a backing track playing the melody of "Like Someone In Love" over and over is tedious and I just wish I could play over the changes, but I realize the great players all immersed themselves in these melodies because they had to play them for audiences over and over. I have to do it in my practice area, but this tune at least is beginning to soak into my mind and I have actually recorded myself blundering along trying to improvise with the melody and about half of it is not too bad. The other half, well, it's mainly confusion about where I am in the form.

I am also plagued by the feeling that I only really have about 5 musical ideas and maybe 3-5 rhythmic patterns, and I just use them over and over. Maybe melody playing will help that to.

I'm grateful for the input you and others have offered. It's what makes this forum valuable to me. In the end, I just want to play well and be able to enjoy my own playing and delight others whose fate is to hear me play.

User Info Menu

They say no good deed goes unpunished. Thanks to the advice and encouragement I received on this and the other thread I started about this tune, I've made this clip (a) trying to play the melody with (perhaps too much) embellishment, and then (b) I've tried a chorus of improvisation basically grounded (I hope) in the melody. Mistakes are made here... I don't normally post my efforts at actually improvising and now you will know why!

Still, no progress without feedback, so I thank any who listen and will be grateful for any help offered.