The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

What a gem is this version of "My baby just cares for me" :

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you! Was unfamiliar with this clip. Huge Julie London fan.

User Info Menu

cool...you don't see tight camera framing like that anymore!!!...she's as much acting as singing...a very hip woman...though she was really a bit stage shy!!...

she was married to bobby troup..a long time music guy...she always had great players...budimir is one of the best..big fave...and of course barney k

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    What a gem is this version of "My baby just cares for me" :
    How did you find out it was Budimir? Beautiful job of accompanying. Budimir was the first guitarist to be influenced by Trane , as evidenced on those records on Revelation. Then he got into the studios, and didn't make anymore records under his own name, but still played on some good jazz sessions. Like Howard Roberts, DB was a natural at that type of work.

User Info Menu

absolutely s, those revelation lps are interesting..the side long tracks on sprung free...despite being kind of basic jammy lo-fi, they definitely show trane and free jazz influence ...the west coast pat martino of sorts

budimir had already played alongside eric dolphy in the 3rd generation chico hamilton quintet...and had played with bud shank, pisano and billy bean...when bean was in la for that short while

great player

cheers

User Info Menu

Listen to Julie London with Barney Kessel, Howard Roberts, Joe Pass, and of course Dennis Buddimer. Wonde ful artist's all!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    How did you find out it was Budimir? Beautiful job of accompanying. Budimir was the first guitarist to be influenced by Trane , as evidenced on those records on Revelation. Then he got into the studios, and didn't make anymore records under his own name, but still played on some good jazz sessions. Like Howard Roberts, DB was a natural at that type of work.
    check out this live footage with the Bobby Troup Quintet :

User Info Menu

Anyone know who's on this (NSFW) clip? Not Barney or Joe, I don't think, I used to assume Howard but could be Dennis Budimir?

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Anyone know who's on this (NSFW) clip? Not Barney or Joe, I don't think, I used to assume Howard but could be Dennis Budimir?

the obscure but great john gray was the guitarist on the sessions that man i love was cut...in 1967

here's a great forum thread about gray

Remembering John Gray

cheers

User Info Menu

The recording scene was tricky in LA back then. According to Mel Lewis, if you became well-known as a jazz player, because you worked in jazz clubs at night, like Lewis did when he lived in LA, you started to get less studio work.
    Budimir realized this, and stopped playing in clubs and recording the types of things he did on the Revelation records, and enjoyed steady employment in the studios. You can't have it both ways, and he sounded bitter about the whole thing in all the interviews I've ever read with him.
    He certainly had what it took to become a major jazz player, and i think he knew it. He didn't sound too well on a recent you tube thing.
    Lewis and Billy Bean moved back to the East Coast.