The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Posts 301 to 318 of 318

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Guys like Scofield and Gary Burton came up in the mid to late 1960s. Berklee wasn't the McDonald's Guitar School it later became. The players were prepared before they went to College. The music bar was much higher and Jazz Pedagogy and a disciplined reading program were the rule.

I attended a semester in 1975 when it became a more Guitar centered profit making school. I was not prepared and quickly realized it was not the approach that worked for me. The good news was Gary Burton and his Quintet w Pat Metheny etc. played regularly as well as Jazz Greats at the Jazz Workshop. And there was a great local scene in Boston for many scenes.

There were younger players who already could play well. But I would say the majority of guitarists were pretty weak like me at the time

Again teaching became nescessary for players as part of income but not usually full time. It only was if you had a College degree already, and that wasn't the majority of players back then, even the serious pros as well.
    It's only in the past 20 years or so has this become more normalized. And that's because of all of the students attending music schools. And from my experience many of them can't Swing or Groove well at all.

My feeling is that can't be taught, you either get it or don't And most musicians along with listening to others is were they are weakest.
    On the other hand many non schooled musicians I've worked with get this part,but lack the reading or versatility of repertoire skills.
    And now that it's strictly the Look part it really isn't music ability that gets you work. But that has been true since the Beatles at least.

User Info Menu

Scofield is all about the bears now.

User Info Menu

"If you need further help in understanding my point, just let me know. I can give you five or six thousand words on why artistic snobbery is stupid. As I wrote above: De gustibum non disputandum. Your taste, and my taste, is no better than anyone else's taste, because ... wait for it ... we like what we like.

We clear now?" Thump

Hi, T,
    Your above narrative was logical until it quickly unraveled when you said: "I can give you five or six thousand words on why artistic snobbery is stupid." You seem to equate those who have a better understanding and knowledge of a subject as "snobbery" when it is simply a higher level of exposure and expertise. For example, if a student studies physics in high school but cannot understand Quantum Mechanics, would he/she call Einstein, Fenyman, Oppenheimer, or Hawking a "physics snob?" And, if the current level of theoretical Physics has stalled in its creativity, vision and direction in comparison to the level of these luminaries, should we pretend that it still has the same health and vigor that it did in the past? And, to return to Music, should we then deem contemporary Music profound, interesting, and creative just because it it "new" or "modern." These premises would easily fail Philosophy 101 and should be left to other arenas of discussion with less demanding standards. Thanks for your reply. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300
    s

Nice Old School R&B licks on the guitar, T! Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Hi, Tony,
    Loved your first video but if Aaradhna is R&B by today's standards . . . I'll eat my pet canary. . . well, not really since I don't have a pet canary. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Scofield is all about the bears now.

Great video, E,
    As a hunter/fly fisherman in Northern Wisconsin/Michigan for over 30 years, this man is a Fu--ing idiot! Firstly, animals are not humans . . . they're animals. They operate under a different understanding of the world--both natural and human than we do. Secondly, the first rule you learn in Bear Country is to never get between a sow and her cub(s) and, if you see them, leave the area as quickly as possible. Any misunderstanding of your intentions can lead to a serious mauling or death. It was obvious when he got between the mother and cub that the cub became frightened when it climbed the tree and the sow became nervous and agitated. He's lucky it ended well.
    There's a strange notion that exists by some naive souls that believe wild carnivores in their natural environment want familiarity with humans. This could not be further from the case and is sadly promoted by those with little or no knowledge of animal behavior. The animals lives are centered around predator/prey consciousness and the desire to kill as often as possible to fulfill their caloric requirements. Simple. This was glaringly demonstrated when Timothy Treadwell "Grizzly Man" was killed and partially eaten by a Grizzly bear during the time he spent making a documentary film about the bears and how he believed he had the ability to be accepted by the bears. After his death, the video was found at the kill site of the attack. Good playing . . . Marinero

Last edited by Marinero; 05-25-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: deletion

User Info Menu

Oh.. thanks for the info. That was interesting. I only meant that the first man who spoke looked and sounded like Scofield, thats all

I am proud for this derail though

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Barney Kessel at his best imo. I've learned a lot about harmony and shore subs from this recording as well as Howard Roberts on the subsequent Julie is her Name vol 2 recordings. Highly Recommended !

User Info Menu

"Wake me up","Levels", "Hey brother" by Avicii - If anyone could do any better right now, you'd be livin in a mansion instead ... whatever you're doing right now.
    The point is not to hype Avicii. My point is someone can do this multiple times. If that's happening, it's not just luck. Could bitch all the day but can you beat that?

User Info Menu

Also Mumford son's "The Cave". A beatiful new thing. It's my trump card to make the students get a better grade for 3rd years exam. They didn't know what hit them.

User Info Menu

This piece is pretty perfect as it is. I like it a lot better than the final product. Now, the question - how could you make it better with natural instruments? I'd be sounding like '60 Bond movie track... or hm.. any thoughts?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Yeah, what a challenge would it be - the least notes to do something meaningful.

User Info Menu

This is a masterpiece of modern pop .. ballad? or what? in 60's or 70', whats like it?

Don't watch it. The video is a disgrace. But it's unique, deserves to be out there.

User Info Menu

This new ipad ipod chick can sing a song if she wants: