The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Posts 251 to 275 of 318

User Info Menu

This thread is dumb.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Okay I found something new that absolutely Rocks My World!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Strong evidence for newer music? I listen and hear what Bach (the best ever) had to say 300 years ago.
    I could not bear to watch J.S. Bach being dragged into Thile’s whirlpool of whimsy. Thile may be better than me musically, but at least I do not inflict sentimentality upon others.

User Info Menu

Thile's whirlpool of whimsy haha, I know what you mean. Actually he should really call his Live From Here band that.

I'm signed up though, and actually he does have soul... He made me feel things with music, if that's what that means.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    I could not bear to watch J.S. Bach being dragged into Thile’s whirlpool of whimsy. Thile may be better than me musically, but at least I do not inflict sentimentality upon others.
    Yeah----but do you like it?...

User Info Menu

Forgot that. There is this other way to look at "whats good and whats bad" music. Kinda poked out from peoples opinions here of course. It's about considering what piece of music "deserves to exist at all". That attitude is way more constructive and fair towards music. Although - completely subjective matter of taste again.. always have to accept that.

For example - I hate this Vangelis piece with all my heart... chariots of fire BOOOOO! Yuck!!!... But it has an unique idea on its own and imo, totally deserves to exist. Same with that damn Ravel's piece I wouldn't want to say the name out loud. And there are tons of others like that in every thinkable style. I seriously hate some, but the same time I feel they do have right to be out there.

User Info Menu

This is rather new and well composed from older snippets. But completely worth as it is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Wow, " whirlpool of whimsy". Love it.

I"m going to have to find a way to make this part of my everyday vocabulary.

User Info Menu

I think the internet has given access to so many musicians that we no longer spend the time to appreciate individual musicians like we used to before the internet. The extraordinary has become the ordinary. It's not that great musicians don't exist, it's that we no longer appreciate them.

15 minutes of improv

13 minutes of free improvisation...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Forgot that. There is this other way to look at "whats good and whats bad" music. Kinda poked out from peoples opinions here of course. It's about considering what piece of music "deserves to exist at all". That attitude is way more constructive and fair towards music. Although - completely subjective matter of taste again.. always have to accept that.

For example - I hate this Vangelis piece with all my heart... chariots of fire BOOOOO! Yuck!!!... But it has an unique idea on its own and imo, totally deserves to exist. Same with that damn Ravel's piece I wouldn't want to say the name out loud. And there are tons of others like that in every thinkable style. I seriously hate some, but the same time I feel they do have right to be out there.
    Yeah, it's funny... The usual organisation suggests music is a subset of sound, but I hear sound as music which is different from hearing sound as sounds, or music as sounds, or even music as music. Some of the music that I like most deeply would drive ordinary people running to escape the room, certain that what they heard could only be madness and confusion. Then I realize that I abhor the music some people have dearly loved their whole lives.

User Info Menu

When I'm sometimes pick myself up and listen some Beethovens crazy sonata with focus, doing nothing else, I'm floored. But doesn't matter that those pack some "high value compositional punch", can't do it too often. Compared to some of those (from 19th cent. ), nothing impresses me from mainstream from today (and also "quality pop" from earlier). Until a few days have passed . Note-wise that is.

My point is, there are so many viewpoints to estimate music. Each and every aspect of it could carry a bright idea. Like every single one. Notes and harmony share it with so many others.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

"There are plenty of modern composers whose music I would rather listen to than what I think of as unutterably boring compositions by people like Schumann," Christian

Like this one by Schumann?

or, perhaps this boring Romanza by Schumann played by "El Maestro?"

I must strongly disagree. Schumann was one of the great composers of all time and had more "soul" in his little toe than 99% of today's composers. There are no composers today writing music of this caliber. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    "There are plenty of modern composers whose music I would rather listen to than what I think of as unutterably boring compositions by people like Schumann," Christian

Like this one by Schumann?

or, perhaps this boring Romanza by Schumann played by "El Maestro?"

I must strongly disagree. Schumann was one of the great composers of all time and had more "soul" in his little toe than 99% of today's composers. There are no composers today writing music of this caliber. Good playing . . . Marinero
    interminable. Not even being transcribed for guitar can and played by Andres ‘OG’ Segovia can save him.

people who like him are as bad as those that say Figaro is the best Mozart opera or live on the incorrect side of the river.

This is the right Schu. This may actually qualify as my favourite piece of music:

Also Schubert actually played the guitar. But the same is true of Berlioz and Ed Sheeran so I can’t draw any conclusions.

User Info Menu

Also currents in cakes. Who started this atrocity?

User Info Menu

That’s it. Schumann is exactly like fruit cake. Yuk. Brahms is like really nice carrot cake but someone has put dried fruit in there and I appreciate the cake while still going ‘yuk’ on some level.

and then you have Verdi, whose early operas are all intolerable rumpty tumpty accordion music (this was the country that gave us Rossini ffs, get your act together) and then you get to the late stuff and Verdi suddenly has this counterpoint obsession going on because he’s incredibly insecure. So Falstaff is just full of this amazing technical flex thats also just sheer Verdi populism and tunes that make singers feel happy (that alone is a real gift) at the same time. It’s magic.

and no one really notices because opera fans are incapable of hearing anything that isn’t a melody line.

And then everyone goes ‘ooh Brahms counterpoint’ blah blah.

But if you get like good Brahms, conducted by someone who can make him sound like the sum of the many many parts... wow. It’s just, rare in my experience.

Anyway, this has no relevance to anything. Except perhaps that there’s music of every genre that I think is great and stuff that bores the bollocks off me.

To pledge fealty to this or that genre, tradition, instrument or historical period seems a bit weird to me. Do people really listen to music like that?
    Last edited by christianm77; 05-22-2020 at 10:53 AM.

User Info Menu

I read that as ‘your personal musical taste is Gospel’ and I was confused

User Info Menu

Mozart is best ever!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu

Mozart is best ever!
    Beautiful!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

#1 May this week Billboard Hot 100........and the last five decades. Let your ears be the judge. I like the timeless old school r&b arrangement/production vibe...kinda holds it's own with the other decades, IMO.

#1 May 2010

#1 May 2000

#1 May 1990

#1 May 1980

Last edited by cosmic gumbo; 05-23-2020 at 02:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Also currents in cakes. Who started this atrocity?
    Probably Thomas Edison. He supposedly loved practical jokes involving electric shocks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Once again, the Herd is dumping on Jads. Their Herd offers protection, security, sameness, predictability, singularity of mind, confirmation, deindividuation, and the inability to coalesce the past and presence in objective criteria. They are smug, righteous and determined and their pathway ,as illustrative in History, always leads to the bottom. But they have a voice in a world where standards continue to decline in the Arts and the "least common denominator" is the norm. Whether we look at Painting, Music, Literature . . . there is a decline in talent and ability and "sameness" becomes the working narrative. No philosophical Mumbo Jumbo can change this reality. If you can't see it . . . fine. This is a world where the one-eyed Man is king. Good playing . . . Marinero
    You're projecting, and describing Jads perfectly, how sweetly ironic.