The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 318

User Info Menu

"But tell me, where is the music of the early 20th century .. You try to tell me that Zoot Sims is better than Rachmaninoff and Shostakovic? Are you sure that the music you so proudly speak off isn't a pale watered down version of the music that came before it?" Lobomov

Hi, L,
    This is called a non-sequitur fallacy in Philosophy. You are lumping two very different genres of music(Jazz/Classical) as an example for your views much as when someone would compare Ozzie Osbourne ,say, to Segovia. Further, why are you so mute that you cannot provide a simple list of 5 great Jazz musicians in the last 30 years? You can't keep making general statements without providing some concrete examples. However, I certainly agree with Fep's mention of Joey Alexander. Good playing . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Marinero;1034499]
    Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I can’t but help people who say this sort of stuff have limited exposure to different styles, traditions and ways of making music.

Like people who talk about ‘great composers’ and reel off the usual 18th-19th century canon...[/QUOTE.

Hi, C,
    I think the above statement is unfair since I merely asked James for a comparable list of younger musicians of the same caliber as my list. New is not always better . . . just sometimes NEW. That's why I asked James for a simple list. He should easily be able to provide one based on his remarks and personal tastes. I hope this discussion continues on a high level since much could be gained from the discourse. It has been very interesting to date. Thanks for your reply. Good playing . . . Marinero
    It's a low level thread to start with. It doesn't warrant high level discussion.

User Info Menu

Well, guitar players? Where do we start?

You want original and amazing, you could do worse than check out Reiner Baas.

In terms of any style of guitar you care to mention the bar has been raised to a very high level.

Beyond the guitar, you need to check out this guy

User Info Menu

Here's some other things

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'll not entertain any global objective assertions, but subjectively those three examples are to my ear more heralds of the death of music, not just jazz.

User Info Menu

lot of NPR tiny desk concerts lol.

User Info Menu

I find the Laura Mvula in particular to be remarkably original.

User Info Menu

Speaking of trained composers

Heres some Caroline Shaw

David Bruce

While I've repeatedly have stated there is no lack of technically great musicians amongst younger players. There is a huge void in song writing and groove! This is for all genres.
    And while all generations need their HERO'S. I don't find any in the Musical Mold of the past i.e. Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, Jaco Pastoius, Jimi Hendrix.

The difference is not their technical skills, but their Soul and Song Writing. I find a lack of Soul in most of the newer musicians. And for me that is the connection that matters most!

By the way a lot of the newer Hipster Hero's are what a freind of mine used to refer to Art Students experimenting with Synthesizers ! Same with Velvet Underground in Andy Warhol movement of the 1960s

User Info Menu

Bloody love this record

And this one

Here's Chris Thile playing Bach

And covering Billie Eilish

Might want to listen to Chris has to say here. He is better than you. TBF he is better than almost everyone alive.

User Info Menu

So, yes. Chris Thile. In terms of sheer 'lolwhut?' ness, this ranks above my favourite things. Here's an entirely electronic track by Radiohead

Covered by the Punch Brothers on acoustic bluegrass instruments.

User Info Menu

Might want to listen to Chris has to say here.
    He is better than you.
    TBF he is better than almost everyone alive.
    Strong evidence for newer music? I listen and hear what Bach (the best ever) had to say 300 years ago.

User Info Menu

New "amateur" crap.

Compared to this, old school "pros" turning knobs on some Moog or such look like toying.

And you kids have nailed exactly what I hate about newer music. Thanks so much for the clarification.
    I might be stuck in the past and resistant to the newer technology and what it has produced. But nothing posted so far even resembles what rocked my world as a kid or a grown-up.

This also explains why there are no venues worth playing any longer. Since as a soundman so aptly explained it a few years back."The People who listen to that music are either Dead or in AA!"

User Info Menu

Dunno, I'm 40 and find bad rock more annoying than bad dubstep.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    New "amateur" crap.

Compared to this, old school "pros" turning knobs on some Moog or such look like toying.
    You call that a HyperGrowl?

This is a HyperGrowl!
    (old school pros, 1974)

First note of the song... quick, turn it up!

User Info Menu

Add some reverb;

Don't forget to stack the layers.

User Info Menu

Old and new together in happy synergy!

User Info Menu

I find the Laura Mvula in particular to be remarkably original.
    Agreed. The video itself is of sufficient interest to exemplify the Video as Art. Luscious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    And you kids have nailed exactly what I hate about newer music. Thanks so much for the clarification.
    I might be stuck in the past and resistant to the newer technology and what it has produced. But nothing posted so far even resembles what rocked my world as a kid or a grown-up.
    Well this is the point. It doesn't have to. The more you cling to what was great about music from the past, the more you'll miss what's great about other things.

But it's your life. As for age, this is an attitude I grew out of. Maybe you will too.

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement, but as they so famously said " It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"

Funny but it's the same with movies and newer Hipster restaurants as well. Been there done way too many times. And done much better in the past for me anyways.

Grew up in New Orleans in the 1970's and it doesn't get any better than that maybe L.A. or New York City in 1950's and 1960s

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Once again, the Herd is dumping on Jads. Their Herd offers protection, security, sameness, predictability, singularity of mind, confirmation, deindividuation, and the inability to coalesce the past and presence in objective criteria. They are smug, righteous and determined and their pathway ,as illustrative in History, always leads to the bottom. But they have a voice in a world where standards continue to decline in the Arts and the "least common denominator" is the norm. Whether we look at Painting, Music, Literature . . . there is a decline in talent and ability and "sameness" becomes the working narrative. No philosophical Mumbo Jumbo can change this reality. If you can't see it . . . fine. This is a world where the one-eyed Man is king. Good playing . . . Marinero
    Rather than answer any points laid against you, you opt instead for a broad-brush personal attack.

Got it.

Speaking of smug and righteous ...

User Info Menu

The tubas are coming for you.

you have been warned.